Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
has anyone put down oiled wood floors?

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 12:22

i fell in love with floors by a company called DuChateau. However, they are 11-14/sf.

What I like about them in the limewashed/pickled look. I got lucky and found another brand that carries a similar looking floor for only 4/sf. We need 200sf, so I'm super excited!

These are oiled rather than polyurethane. Any guidance on oiled floors? they look very "raw" - beautiful but unprotected

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: has anyone put down oiled wood floors?

If you don't have kids, don't do food outside the kitchen, don't put the floor in the kitchen, don't have pets, and don't wear shoes, then you might be a suitable candidate for an oil finish. If you are a real person with a busy life that includes any of the above, then stay away.

$4 a square has to be Chinese. You get what you pay for.

o

at the local floor store they are 5/sf, but i found them on sale online for 4/sf. i am shocked by the price tag too because they are a nice thick beautiful floor. they look very high quality. in fact, next to DuChateau's oiled floor samples, you can't tell the difference. DuChateau is 11-14/sf. I actually like the color of the ones I found more.

they are from a company called global direct flooring. something about no middle man. here's a quote from their website:
“Global Direct Flooring” is set up to serve members on a direct basis, supplying
the highest quality products, at the lowest possible cost. GDF is the only vendor set up to serve CCA members on an exclusive basis- we do not sell or service any competitive retailers, buying groups, etc. This is a unique partnership and expands on the mission and success of CCA-Global Direct."

i don't know what CCA means. my builder is going to check the floors out before giving them a go if i do decide that i want them.

in the meantime, i have to decide if i can live with oiled. i am using either blue slate or a porcelain tile in the kitchen. we have no pets, but we do have kids - 4 of them, and taking shoes off before entering will NEVER fly in our house.

does anyone else have experience/lived with oiled floors? they are so beautiful! but i don't want to make a huge mistake. they look rustic already, so i'm figuring wear and tear will just add to the patina??

o

Bumping this for more opinions on oiled wood. Sounds like it is not very durable? We do have kids and pets, but I want a floor that can be lived on. My in laws had a polyurethane finish on their wood floor, and MIL got so upset whenever it got a little scratch. I don't expect a wood floor to look perfect forever, nor do I want it to.
Could a new oiled wood floor be a good alternate to a reclaimed wood? Give the same worn look at a lower cost?

o

All of my floors are wood, and all but the bath and bedroom are oiled. The living room has a single coat of poly on it as well, but everything absorbed into the VERY dry wood (it's reclaimed garage sheathing) so it's not like the poly finish most people are thinking of. When we brushed it on, it absorbed into the wood within seconds.

We don't have kids. We do have a dog who goes out and brings in water and mud. She's 80lb, so we're not talking a small dog. We go in and out with shoes on.

I love my floors. I do have to reoil them again, it's been about a year for the livingroom and a little less for the others. Mind you, the others are original subfloors (60 or so years old) and the living room is VERY dry, so I don't know how often it would really need to be done on new wood.

This is the dining room floor, as I was oiling it

and the living room floor all finished last year

o

Very nice! I love how dark the living room floor is.

o

I'm sure I looked at prefinished oiled flooring. It was great looking and natural but did not hold up to my testing. I would not buy today's floors without an assembled sample I could experiment on.

o

"I'm sure I looked at prefinished oiled flooring. It was great looking and natural but did not hold up to my testing. I would not buy today's floors without an assembled sample I could experiment on."

Would you feel better about a reclaimed wood that was oiled? What is it about new oiled wood products that you don't like?

o

It was a good looking floor which looked like reclaimed wood. Probably engineered, I don't recall.

"What is it about new oiled wood products that you don't like?"

I don't like the prefinished or engineered floors. It's a durability issue.

Yes, I would definitely consider an oil finish on real solid, site finished flooring. I believe I read some good reviews on it and you can just touch up scratches as they come. Would have to do testing though. Another concern would be whether dust would adhere to it more, like some furniture polishes.

I came across this product that perked my interest years ago when searching for finishes. You might check out reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: monocoat oil finish

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 0:01

o

No dust issues, the oil that isn't absorbed in needs to be wiped off. It feels dry, just like any other floor. At least ours do.

o

Anyone else?
I too love the look of pale, pickled oak or pine flooring. I've seen it in an oiled, solid version, and have seen it as engineered and other. Any input or suggestions as to how to find a good product of this sort out there?? Without using up my 401k of course?

o

Just came upon this thread, so thought I would add in my recent experience with Du Chateau oiled wood floors. In 2012 we had ours installed in every room of our house except for the bathrooms. We were a little worried about the "raw, unprotected" look of the wood (white oak) before making the leap, but we have absolutely loved them. They are far more durable than they look! We're careful to wipe up spills in the kitchen and dining room asap, but we aren't obsessive about it. We don't have little kids, but we do have a big, rambunctious labrador retriever puppy. :-) Our floors weathered her potty training just fine (we actually WERE obsessive about cleaning up puddles during that phase) and they are not scratched up at all from her bouncing all over the house. The only caution I would give about our particular kind of wood is that a few of the planks have edges that are a bit splintery. That's part of the distressed beauty of it, but it's worth noting to anyone not wanting that rough of a texture.

o

I am considering oil wood floors too. This thread has been helpful- especially lottiemoon's. What is the negative about these floors? I love the look of a real wood, natural looking floor. LottieMoon-about how much per sq ft were these floors? Has anyone run across other manufacturers in the $8 sq ft range with quality? Thanks in advance!

o

We have had oil finish floors (Portofino - European White Oak) for about 6 months. I think the negative is that they have to be re-oiled. This is a task done by hand, is very tedious, and is not something we are looking forward to doing on an annual basis. Also, while the floors look great, I don't feel like they are really sealed and protected. Dust from our remodel absorbed into the floors like crazy. The occasional water spot by the dishwasher/kitchen sink leaves marks. However, we do have a dog running around on them and scratches are not noticeable. Personally, I don't think the look of the floors is worth the maintenance, especially for the expensive price.

o

I found this brand of engineered pre-finished oiled hardwood...and I think I'm going to go with it. The company developed a durable, long-lasting, non-toxic oil finish called Nu-Oil. It addresses all of the issues above and they're gorgeous! I hadn't heard of the Hallmark brand previously but after a lot of searching around, I've found very good feedback about these floors. I'm most likely going to purchase the Alta Vista line (white oak) in Laguna:

http://paradiseflooringhawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Alta-Vista-Brochure.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallmark brochure - finished with Nu-Oil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here