Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing new hardwoods - how to handle doors with lower floors

Posted by hnelson (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 11:50

Hello,

Just had an estimate to remove tile flooring on our new home, which must have been installed over other flooring, in order to install hardwoods. The flooring guy said the new hardwoods will be lower by 1 - 1 1/2" to blend with hardwoods in adjoining rooms. Therefore our current doors will not go to the floor with the new hardwoods. We have 3 interior doors and 2 exterior doors that I did not budget to replace. Do I have any other options besides replacing? I am really bummed because if I must replace I have to replan my whole remodel to find the money.

Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing new hardwoods - how to handle doors with lower flo

Do not panic! If the doors are painted, it's EASY ...

1 - remove door
2 - sand or plane off the paint on the bottom of the door, and strip and sand at least the bottom couple of inches of the door.

3 - glue and nail (with finishing nails) a strip of wood to the bottom that is as deep as you need. Cut this to fit from any nice clear-grained boards. Depending on the height you need, it can be plain 1-in boards up to 2x6

Fill the end grain of the board, let dry, sand smooth.

4 - sand the joint and the rest of the door lightly, prime and repaint.

Mucho work, poco money required.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here