Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyjane_gw

Matte wood floor finish

KYJane
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I need some product advice for a wood floor finish.

I visited a relatives house several weeks ago, who had recently renovated their kitchen and floor. Their floor was also white oak. I loved the finish, and was told that it was a "non- tint matte finish". He was unsure of the brand, but he gave me his contractors name so I could find out.

I have left messages with the contractor three times over the past two weeks, and haven't gotten a return call. :-(

Anyway, we are building a house. Our white oak floor is down. In a few weeks, we expect the finishing will begin. Our finisher, who has been In the flooring business for years, says he will put down whatever we want. And if I could find out what brand was used on the flooring I saw, he would order a quart, to test on our floor to see if it is the route we are wanting to take.

So, since I can't get ahold of the the contractor to find out what brand he used, I was hoping some of you all might know of some "non-tint matte finishes that I could look into.

Comments (21)

• User
    11 years ago

We have used a waterborne finish from Bona called Naturale. It is very dull but also very expensive.
    I have heard of a comparable sheen finish from Carver that is less costly but I haven't yet seen it or used it.

• KYJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. In my searches, I did find the Bona Natural, and was curious if it was "tint" free. I assume "non-tint" could also mean "non-yellowing". I think I've also seen "amber free". And i can't remember is any I had seen were matte finish. Lots of satin finish out there.

I was curious about the expense of the Bona. Maybe since we were quoted to have a stained finished, and are nixing that for natural, the price will offset each other.

I will do some searches for Carver. See what I can see.

Thanks a bunch. If you come up with something else, please pass it along!

• KYJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more question, about the expense ....

Comparatively speaking, how much more is it?

The floor I saw was dull. It almost looked like it hadn't been finished at all. But, knowing it was in a kitchen, I knew it HAD to be finished with SOMETHING.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Naturale is about $125 per gallon, or thereabouts. Since one gallon covers approximately 350 - 400 square feet per gallon, it would be easy to calculate what the product cost will be for your job. Naturale goes over a Bona sealer or Bona stain product and is a two coat process after that. If choosing the lightest result, then one coat of BonaSeal and two coats of Bona Naturale would be the finish schedule.

Sealing takes much less work and time than staining, so don't let a contractor fool you into thinking they are the same in time expenditure. You do have to abrade the sealer after drying, but staining generally takes more time.

Although a product such as Naturale or Traffic is about twice the cost of some other quality waterbourne polyurethane wood floor finishes, any honest contractor ought to charge you only the wholesale cost difference when changing to one of these premium finishes.

Bona Naturale will be slightly more work to clean, as the totally matte finish allows microscopic dirt and dust to settle in the microscopic valleys in the finish film. You do have slightly more work in coaxing those tiny particles away from the film when cleaning.

• KYJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks glennsfc!

Its good to know that our quote should remain approximately the same if we delete the staining and go with the Bona product.

You mentioned the Bona Naturale being a bit more difficult to clean. Would the Bona Traffic be easier? Is there a much of a difference between the Naturale vs. traffic?

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

There is Traffic Satin (matte) and then there is Traffic HD (high durability, for the most demanding floors). Traffic HD is available in a commercial extra matte finish.

Traffic satin has a sheen, while Naturale is dead flat matte. Traffic HD extra matte gloss level is between Traffic and Naturale. I have not seen Traffic HD extra matte in person, however I believe it would have less sheen than satin approaching a dead flat matte gloss. It might give you a more cleanable surface and it is the most durable finish option from Bona in the waterborne category. Perhaps a floor materials dealer will have samples of each gloss level for you to see. Click on the Bona link and search for technical documents that list the gloss level numbers for each finish, if that's of interest to you.

There is a difference between how Naturale and the Traffic products are applied. The recommended applicator for Naturale is a paint roller and for Traffic it is a floor coater (t-bar) applicator and is used in the snowplow method.

There are other manufacturers of quality waterborne wood floor finishes. Bona is the one I am most familiar with.

I have not used the oil finishes, which for the most part are non-film forming finishes. But I am told they can give an almost naked look to wood, although with not as much protection and durability.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona US

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Also, look into Rubio Monocoat. Not as durable an option as a fim-forming finish, but can give you the flat appearance you want and is easily repaired when worn.

• rwiegand
    11 years ago

Another approach is to use a finish without the particulates in it that dull (and to some extent obscure) the surface and buff it (I'd use a random orbit pad rather than a floor machine to avoid swirls) to the desired sheen level with a Scotchbrite pad. In my experience with furniture polyurethanes (once fully cured) rub out quite nicely with some combination of scotchbrite, 0000 steel wool or pumice and rottenstone, depending on the effect you want. Using only clear glossy finish preserves the clarity and rubbing or buffing it allows you to stop when you achieve the effect you want. Downside is that you will find out how flat your floor really is-- there may be some hand touch-up to remove bright spots.

• KYJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excuse me - I said LanMar, but meant LENMAR....

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

Matte and satin are very different. But unless you seem the two together side by side its tough to see the difference.

98% of my customers choose satin. In my experience its protocol. Im sure other guys can chime in and give you their thoughts.

Ask to see if your guy can show you both side by side.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

There is a Lenmar dull-rubbed finish in their oil based. Less sheen than satin

• rickyk22
    10 years ago

Hi,

I didn't read all the above comments, so I may be repeating. we refinished all our floors with the Bona hi traffic extra matte. Bona traffic is only available in matte, but the high traffic is available in extra matte. it is water based so it will not yellow. it is very easy to put down, dries incredibly fast with almost no odor. only downside is that I think it was 3 times the cost of an oil based poly. we have had it for almost two years now and are very happy with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona Hi traffic

• rickyk22
    10 years ago

Hi,

I didn't read all the above comments, so I may be repeating. we refinished all our floors with the Bona hi traffic extra matte. Bona traffic is only available in matte, but the high traffic is available in extra matte. it is water based so it will not yellow. it is very easy to put down, dries incredibly fast with almost no odor. only downside is that I think it was 3 times the cost of an oil based poly. we have had it for almost two years now and are very happy with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona Hi traffic

• rickyk22
    10 years ago

I refinished myself and can tell you that the finishing is easy, it was the sanding that killed me. anyway here is how I applied. One coat of sealer, then I screened it to knock down the grain. then one coat of the bona HD extra mat applied with a t-bar in snowplow method like Glennsfc said. then I screened again. then two more coats of the poly and it is good to go. Hope this is helpful.

• scubedoobe
    6 years ago

• scubedoobe
    6 years ago

One coat down and just screened (I think that’s what it’s called)

• scubedoobe
    6 years ago

• scubedoobe
    6 years ago

Color is provincial and ebony 50/50

• Rick
    6 years ago

Looks great. Id be interested to know how it holds up. Figured I would give an update while I was on here. Almost 6 years now since I refinished the floors with the Bona Hi traffic in extra matte and it is just as good as the day I applied it!

• Rick
    6 years ago

scubedoobe, is that Lenmar oil or water based?