Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missoblivious

Vacuum for Smartstrand

missoblivious
11 years ago

We just installed Karastan Smartstrand carpet throughout our home. It was a fortune and now I learn that my Dyson vacuum won't work on it. Ugh! Can anyone suggest a good vacuum for this type of carpet? I looked on the manufacturer's website, but the vacuums listed didn't have that great of reviews and none actually stated that their vacuum worked on smartstrand.Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Comments (9)

• DIYguy_FL
    11 years ago

With any soft carpet ie Karastan, you need to take into consideration the plushness & weight of the carpet. You most definitely want to use a vacuum that is CRI (Carpet & Rug Institute) approved.

Dyson Vacuums are not CRI approved and therefore not a good pairing for soft, plush carpets.

If you have a premium soft carpet, you want to find a vacuum that has:
    -Beater bar with adjustable height
    -Wide wheels (this will keep the vacuum higher & more flexible)

An investment like beautiful, soft carpet deserves proper maintenance- choose a vacuum that will allow for the best upkeep of your carpet! Here are some great models to check out:

Standard Upright Vacuum
    Hoover UH70120
    Hoover UH70205
    Hoover U5780-950
    Dirt Devil UD70115
    Eureka AS5203A

Lightweight/No Depth Adjustment
    Oreck Magnesium
    Oreck Magnesium RS
    Hoover Nano UH20020W

Canister Vacuum
    Hoover Canister S3865
    Oreck Quest Pro

This post was edited by DIYguy_FL on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 17:07

• Short11
    11 years ago

I tried Hoover'sHigh Performance upright. It must have lifted the carpet 5 inches off the floor. We packed it back up and sent it back. I have looked at all the vacuums listed and at best they get mediocre reviews. I prefer a canister and am allergic to dust so I am thinking one with a bag would be better. Can anyone out there help me? Electrolux has a new one out called Jet Max....has anyone tried it? I love the smartstrand but hate the hassle with the vacuum.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Posted by missoblivious (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 11:26

"Can anyone suggest a good vacuum for this type of carpet? "

Miss Oblivious -- I am no carpet expert but I have some experience with Vacuums. My brother owns three Vacuum stores and caters to high-end clients and high-end CARPETS. LOL. I worked for my brother for a year and have owned 3 Simplicity Vacuums.

I would recommend Simplicity for your needs. Workhorses, gentle and durable. Best uprights you can buy.

• pam71
    10 years ago

Have you thought about a canister vacuum that has height adjustments? I know Miele makes some. That way the weight of the vacuum won't be adding to the problem.

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

Mohawk Flooring-Tim-- Could you please send me an email via my 'Send An Email' link on my GW profile page & let me know another way to get in touch with you? I tried the link above to ask a few questions about my Smartstrand, but I get an error when I hit 'Submit'. Thanks!

• MohawkFlooring_Tim
    10 years ago

@mydreamhome - An email has been sent your way!

• Mary1956
    10 years ago

I too love my carpet but miss by dyson so much. I elected to get the Eureka that is on Mohawk's referral page. I have it 4 months and it just fell apart!!! It worked on the carpet but didn't have a very long attachment hose or electrical cord. I'm hoping that maybe by now dyson has come out with one I can use. But in the meantime I will look into The Simplicity that pineseverywhere recommended.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Sorry about your Eureka Mary -- I would have taken that back!!

Here is link to my Brother's website ... he does sell on-line and ships too. However, I don't see Simplicity on the website (may be due to licensing he can't sell that on-line). Anyway, I'm not pimping his store but thought I would give you the link.

Bottom line -- I stand by my Simplicity recommendation. My three have lasted forever -- workhorses and great suction.

Here is a link that might be useful: United Vacuum