Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeydood

Guidelines for blocking to run hardwood floor parallel to joists?

HoneyDood
12 years ago

Hello All,

This is odd. I am posting this question for the 3rd time now, and it keeps disappearing. No email, nothing. So I'm going to assume there is a problem with the forum and re-post.

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for although I don't doubt it's somewhere here.

I'm about to close on a 23 year old home with hardwood flooring. They installed it "correctly", being perpendicular to the joists, but it's parallel to the windows, and is laid with the short walls in the rooms.

This is on the first floor, the sub is plywood, and the house has an unfinished basement. So my plan is to block the joists and replace the tired, ugly flooring with something new run perpendicular to the windows, but parallel to the 2x10 joists.

There is a steel I going through the middle of the house. The span is about 14 feet from foundation to I. How many rows of blocks should I install, and where? I keep finding info on how to block (which is not exactly rocket science), but nobody seems to talk about how many rows need to go in. One in the middle? Two divided evenly? Three? Is sistering necessary? (hope not, lots of plumbing and wiring in the way)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)