Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Mixed Widths - 3.25 & 2.25 ?

Posted by lpritchett (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 9:20

Hi,

I wasn't originally considering mixed widths, however, the flooring I want has been discontinued and I can only find about 400 sq ft in 3 1/4 and 600 sq ft in 2 1/4 for my approx 1,000 sq ft area. I have seen mixed widths in wider planks and like the look, but I haven't seen it in narrower widths like this. How do you think this would look and how would it affect the complexity of the install and the labor cost? The product I am looking at is 3/4" solid maple in an ebony finish.

thanks,
LP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Mixed Widths - 3.25 & 2.25 ?

Hi,

I may not have been clear - I am not installing myself, but I am curious as to the difficulty of the install due to how it will impact the labor cost. Also looking for opinions on the look, if anyone has seen mixed install w/ narrower widths like this.

thanks!

o

No problem at all. Bruce's Ranch Plank was very popular with the 21/4 - 31/4" combination.

o

Hi, I'm a pro flooing installer. I would say an inch difference in the width of the boards shouldn't affect labor costs at all. You just have to establish the pattern of size changes with your installer so it comes out evenly spread. I'd say 1 row of 3.25 for every 2 rows of 2.25 should about even you out. But the width of the plank has nothing to do with difficulty or complexity, a 2.25 inch board installs the same way a 5 inch board does, it just takes a hair longer to do.

o

Thanks, I wish my installer shared your view. He said he would charge an add'l $400 and wanted even quantities of both sizes, which isn't possible, as the product is discontinued.

o

Quantities of both sizes is indeed possible to figure. 400' of 31/4" = 1,477 lineal ft. 600' of 21/4" = 3200 lineal ft. or as proinstallpa said two to one.

o

The installer wants 60% 3.25" & 40% 2.25" which I can't do, as it's dc'd and I've only found 400 sq ft in the 3.25.

o

I don't see why he couldn't run two rows of 2", then a row of 3", and repeat it.

o

I don't either. I will talk to him about it. You don't think it would look strange?

o

You need a different installer not one so dense. I would not trust him at this point to do the right thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here