Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asbestos in floor tile?

Posted by worriedmom (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:18

My laundry room has12x12 vinyl floor tile and I am really worried that they may have asbestos in them. They were self adhesive onto cement and many are missing and a few are damaged. They seem to pop up easily and do not have the black stuff under them. I have young children and I am worried to have them but can't afford to have an abatement crew come in. The house was built in late 60s but I have no idea when the tiles were installed. Does anyone know if these are likely to contain asbestos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asbestos in floor tile?

Highly unlikely. Pop 'em up and throw them out.

o

Certain styles of tile were more likely to contain aesbestos. The adhesive may also contain it. Find a testing service that can tell you for sure. The test shouldn't be expensive.

o

They are peel and stick vinyl. If you want to test them for peace of mind, then do it, but they are recent vinyl tile.

o

Thanks so much glennfc. You have made me feel much better about the tiles. I just have one more concern now that I have been reading more about asbestos. We have a stucco ceiling in my living room and I have just now read that it may contain asbestos. It has been painted so hopefully that is keeping it in. Does anyone know the chances that a stucco ceiling from the late 60s would have asbestos? My husband drilled in a fire alarm and a light fixture years ago. Do you think that that exposure could have harmed us? My son would have been about 2 at the time. Im sure he would have wiped up anything obvious but it may have got into the air?

o

If it is what is called 'popcorn' ceiling from that era, then yes it probably contains the fiber. Even if the product contains the fiber, you have a better chance winning The Powerball Lottery, than developing a disease from casual exposure to the fiber. Repeated occupational exposure combined with tobacco smoking is typically what leads to disease development. Your family has nothing to worry about in my opinion. Paint does a great job of encapsulation.

o

"My husband drilled in a fire alarm and a light fixture years ago. Do you think that that exposure could have harmed us?"

No.

It's a health hazard if you are employed for years mining it, spraying it as insulation, or removing it from multiple buildings. And if you are a heavy smoker it's worse.

The casual exposure you get from living in and doing minor stuff to an old house is extremely unlikely to do anything. I've rehabbed several houses of the lead paint / asbestos insulation vintage and I'm still typing and breathing.

o
RE: Aagsbestos in floor tile?

Agree with the above. We are exposed to all this stuff daily and naturally. You can not get away from it. It is just one that has become regulated. Others are as bad or worse. All construction dust is hazardous.

Be aware but it doesn't sound like you have been terribly exposed.

It is not expensive to send to a lab to test. Send all layers of the different materials.

o

Here's a thought to freak out lots of folks; there is a background level of naturally occuring asbestos fibers in every cubic litre of air on the planet, so yes...snookums2 is right on the money by saying "We are exposed to this stuff daily and naturally."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here