Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelvance_gw

Need help deciding on hardwood flooring

kelvance
12 years ago

Getting ready to start a new build next month.

Trying to decide on hardwood flooring, having a tough time, a little details.....

2400 sq ft of hardwood, no enginerred or laminate. We do not like the plasticly finish of most prefinished wood, also do not like the beveled edges.

We are thinking of going with an unfinished oak, with either a waterlox finish or a matte poly.

We have a 20,000.00 budget for all flooring expenses, materials and labor, thats including 300 sq ft of ceramic tile, I already have that picked out, .99 cents a sq ft. Trying to decide on where would be the best place to purchase unfinished flooring, any ideas, thinking lumber liquidators but just not quite sure? thanks in advance

Comments (8)

• dotbowels
    12 years ago

We are putting an engineered wood floor in that is made by Lauzon. It is square edged no bevels. We did a lot of research and it is really a nice floor.

A relative of ours used LL & have had nothing but trouble 6 months after the install. They put in what they were told was the best solid wood available -Bella, LL says it is the installer's (who they recommended) fault.

Check out Lauzon square edgeded if your budget will allow it you won't regret it

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

If you want to buy plain, unfinished tongue and groove oak flooring, call a lumberyard. They can order it for you.

Or look in your phone book for a supplier of flooring - many of them either carry or can order it.

It costs $50 to $80 a "bundle", depending on the grade, which is enough boards to cover 20 square feet. You get a better price ig you order quantity, so you might be able to get it for less than I paid.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I would do site-finish in a heartbeat in a new build where you don't have to worry about the sanding/finishing mess. You will never regret that.

If circumstances dictate that you need to do pre-finished, the Lauzon is a good choice. My DD went that route in her live-in home and she has the square edges.

Buy directly from a lumber yard. You will have choices in wite or red oak, plus a choice of grades.

• kelvance
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone, I've been calling lumber yards but with not much luck so far, going to keep trying though!

• UniqueWoodFloor
    12 years ago

Try Owen's unfinished Plank flooring with sq. edge. If you like prefinished, Lauzon is a good brand to use. But I wonder either will fit your budget with install. Good Luck searching.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Just got a quote on plain sawn white oak (grade 1, TG), site finished with three coats of gray stain and water sealer = $11/sq. ft. Quarter sawn which was preferred (same grade of white oak) with same site finish = $12.90 sq. ft. We could reduce cost by down grading the wood quality, reducing the number of coats of stain but not below $10 sq. ft. The dealer did tell us that he could get close to $10 sq. ft if we wanted pre-finished. We don't. YMMV.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

I just went to ifloor.com and found:
    Low Flat Rate Shipping
    You pay only a FLAT RATE of $149 dollars for all orders over $1200 of ANY product going to anywhere in lower 48 United States. Includes residential curbside delivery and a lift gate. No Sales Tax: Unless you are in Washington you will pay no sales tax on any flooring orders placed online. This will save you lots of money! BBB A+ Member
    iFLOOR.com is an A+ Member of the Better Business Bureau President's Club. You can rest assured that service is our top priority with your order.
    MT34UFSAC525
    3/4" Unfinished Solid Australian Cypress 5-1/4" Wide
    Sorry for all the boiler plate but this stuff looked pretty good and was only $5+ a sq. ft for the amount you need.. Ifloor is just one of the onlike suppliers out there.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

We were quoted $2.25 sqft for 4" white oak tongue & groove unfinshed hardwood floors. Another $4.50 sq ft for finishing. All through a local well respected hardwood floor place. You may want to call your local guys too. If you're contracting everything yourself, make sure they know that as you may get a discount.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!