Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
site finished vs. prefinished

Posted by dreamer16 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 8:08

could someone please provide a short breakdown of the pros and cons of each and which you prefer? we have prefinished in our home right now and I've never loved the seams between each board. it's my understanding that site finishing is able to somewhat eliminate those seams...is this correct? We are building a new house and trying to determine which way to go. I think we are leaning towards site finished. Is there much of a difference in cost? It looks to me like unfinished solid hardwood is cheaper than a quality prefinished. But I understand that site finished will have more labor costs. Does it kind of equal out? And, finally, can we use wide planks with site finished? We'd like to use a 5" board but I've heard that's not necessarily wise with site finished. We're in PA. Really appreciate any help and advice that can be provided...thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: site finished vs. prefinished

Site finished: main benefit is no grooves.

Pre-finished: main benefit is faster (done the same day you lay it) and less mess.

On cost, we've DIY-ed, so can't give input on the labor cost.

We installed 5" solid unfinished walnut in a couple rooms and had no problem. I'm not sure what you've heard as to why that should be a problem.

o

Thanks for the response. We were told that some "cupping" could occur with wider boards when doing site finished. Have you heard this?

o

I had flooring people caution me about wide solid wood cupping. They suggested if we wanted 5 inch boards, we should go with engineered. I didn't like the look of the engineered maple, and so we are going with 3.25 inch solid, finished in place.
I worry that the grooves between boards with accumulate dirt, and look ugly too quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here