Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hardwood Floor & a Deep Scratch

Posted by gemini16 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 7:10

I'm sick to my stomach. We just had a red birch floor installed and I know it's soft and am prepared for dings and such. But we moved a very heavy piece of furniture using those padded sliders (it's 400 lbs). Things were going well and then the pad picked up a piece of something and left a scratch across 3 boards before I noticed it.

Can anything be done? Can they really cut out certain boards and replace without it looking like a patch job?

Of course the scratch is right in the main walk way. I'm trying to just get over it and realize that over time, we'll have more scratches and dings and embrace them as character.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hardwood Floor & a Deep Scratch

I know how you feel; not long after we moved into our new house that we built we got a huge scratch in our new wood floor!! Now, 2 years later there are lots of little scratches and you just don't seem to notice them but that first one is a killer!! I don't know about replacing the boards; it could depend on if your floor is an engineered floor or not may be easier if it is. Can't hurt to ask but I would think it could compromise the other boards around it.
Good Luck!

o

A professional will be able to make an invisible repair.

o

You bring up a point I'd like to go over. Most wood floors will not hold up to heavy weight being drug across them. This includes rolling out refrigerators. A rug under the weight will not prevent the compression of the wood fibers. The surest method is to place a clean sheet of 1/8" press-board down and drag across it thus dispersing the weight and protecting the floor.

The padded sliders will work IF you use them over an upside down piece of short napped carpet. Then any grit encountered will not be forced into the finish and the weight of the item will be adequately dispersed causing no damage.

o

"The surest method is to place a clean sheet of 1/8" press-board down and drag across it thus dispersing the weight and protecting the floor."

1/8 inch is not going to spread enough weight to matter.

3/8 underlayment at least.

o

Beg to differ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here