Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adjoining Rooms with Perpendicular Joists - Hardwood

Posted by odiegirl13 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 5:52

We opened up our family room to our kitchen some time ago and now we are trying to decide what to do about the flooring. The joists in the two rooms run perpendicular to each other. The family room currently has 3/4'' Brazilian Teak. The kitchen is empty.

Our original plan was to put the teak in the kitchen as well but very late in the project we realized that the flooring would look odd running perpendicular. We are hoping to run all of the flooring as it would run in the kitchen and the rest of the main floor.

The subfloor is 3/8'' plywood which I think is installed perpendicular to the joists. The joists are 12" OC.

I am kind of stumped. Should we pull up the existing teak in the family room and run new 3/4'' wood parallel to the kitchen, run it perpendicular as we planned, or go with an engineered wood? I think with the engineered we would have to add another layer of 3/8" plywood as an underlayment and not just glue the flooring to the subfloor???

It does get down to cost as there are roughly 1000 feet to cover on the main floor.

Hope this makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here