Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anti Fracture Membrane Over Entire Slab?

Posted by Tpns28 (tpns28@gmail.com) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 4:14

I just bought a house and wanted some porcelain tile work done. The slab was poured in december, should i apply anti-fracture membrane for the entire floor or only over cracks? I'm worried that cracks will form over time and will transfer into the tile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anti Fracture Membrane Over Entire Slab?

Were control joints used for the slab? If not, then yes, if you want to never have to worry about cracks transferring to your tile, using a membrane would be wise. If you'd rather put the additional money that it will cost into an account to pay for tile repair work down the line, that would be acceptable as well. You may only have a couple of dozen tiles in the whole house that have issues if they used a strong mix for the slab along with the proper mesh and rebar. One way to not have to do either is to use fiber reinforced concrete for the slab. But, that's also more expensive up front, and not a possible choice for you at this point as it would be for others building. But, you WILL deal with one or the other scenario on concrete, so pick your poison. Pay now. Or pay later.

o
RE: Anti Fracture Membrane Over Entire Slab?

I'm in the same boat. How you tell if the concrete floor has rebar? Do I drill holes in it or can I use my stud finder?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here