Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get this stuff off of sub flooring?

Posted by pkspigs (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 1:53

I have solid vinyl Kentile in my kitchen. It is the type when laid up against another piece it looks like it has a grout line and NO seems can be seen. Be that as it may, the installer, why for the life of me I don't know, did not adhear each piece tightly against the other piece and now I have gaps all over the flooring. It is approx. 13 years old and looks very good, but the cracks in the flooring hold all kinds of nasty things. I can run a knife blade into the cracks and get all kinds of gunk out. There is a solid 3/4" plywood subflooring under this kentile that was put down with Kentile glue. How in the world can I remove this flooring without damaging the subflooring. It is the exact level of my dining room flooring with the tile and I will replace with something the same thickness. Thanks for any advice, PK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get this stuff off of sub flooring?

Sometimes the gapping has nothing to do with how the flooring was installed, but due to something we call plasticizer migration. I have rarely seen plasticizer migration with the Kentile product however.

It may be possible to pop up the Kentile with little damage to the plywood. How successful you will be has everything to do with what adhesive was used to bond the Kentile. If it was the brown or white alcohol-containing adhesive, you should have little trouble getting them off the floor. I have removed some of these floors and then sold the tiles on Ebay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here