Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much lipping/unevenness is expected with 1/8 inch grout lines

Posted by jerseygirl07067 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 1:30

This is a spinoff of my other thread about the chipping.

We just had 18 x 18 tile installed with 1/8 inch grout lines. The tile looks really nice at first, but we've noticed there is a lot of unevenness to it. The tiles look really uneven in places. I know that this will be more apparent with smaller grout lines, but how much is acceptable?

I also wonder if it's contributing to the chipping problem I was asking about under my other thread, since things can catch on the tile edges so easily because they're uneven.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much lipping/unevenness is expected with 1/8 inch grout l

There is an installation issue after reading your other post. A re-grout may eliminate much of what you are seeing.When too much is wiped away...it does not look right and things will catch on the edges.

o

With a tile of that size, a FLAT substrate is essential!

It should NOT be more than 1/8" out of level in 8-10 feet.

Did you check that? Is is concrete or Post & Beam? With the larger foremat tiles....flat is extremely important if you want no lippage. In addition, 1/8" is VERY small and difficult to work with. I tell my clients to go with a 3/16" grout joint....and only if it's "rectified porcelean."

o

Thanks for the info. The install was over a concrete slab. It was rectified tile too. I did check the lippage and it is definitely not 1/8" out of level. It's probably between 1/16 and 1/8 in the worst spots. Most others are much less than that when I actually measured. . I didn't expect it to be such a small difference, but the small grout times make it more obvious.

We will try to regrout some of the areas and see if that helps. Our installer is going to come back to fix something else related to a different job. There is one area of lippage that's right near our refrigerator that's probably the worst one again, between 1/16 and 1/8. We may have him redo that one since it's in a very noticeable area.

Maybe we should have gone with a slightly larger grout line. Well, what's done is done. Honestly it still looks nice though, I just wanted to make sure I'm not being too picky.

o

Just for future reference, establishing a minimum grout width should be done this way: Measure across numerous tiles, as they generally will vary a bit in size. Take the difference between the smallest and the largest tiles. An eighth of an inch, for example. With a variation of 1/8" you need to triple that number for your grout width. In this example, 3/8" is needed....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here