Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help newbie! -- To Marble or not to Marble.

Posted by paisleyfan (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 1:10

Hi everyone
Newbie here !
We are purchasing our first home and planning to replace a standard builder's tile/carpet combination with something classier, purdier & expensive looking.

Facts:
1. Space is a 750 sq feet living room/kitchen combination. This will be a traffic area because the front entrance directly leads to this space.
2. Labor cost of laying porcelain tile and natural stone is almost the same.
3. We are not trying to save money on the tile/marble, we are trying to find the combination of the best look and maintainability.

Pics are worth a 1000 words:
1. Here is a picture of the existing living-room/kitchen combo:
Photobucket
Photobucket

2. Here is an identical floorplan unit with marble floors. We are shooting for this look:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

3. Here are some options we found in a flooring wholesale store:
Crema Marfil Marble vs Florence Beige Porcelain (top tile is crema marfil, bottom is porcelain)
Photobucket
Photobucket

I love the clean look of crema marfil on some of the flooring forums:
Photobucket

My questions are:
1. How hard will it to maintain the marble ? We are thinking of going for 18x18 or 24x24 size.
2. If I pick the porcelain option, what grout size will I need ? How different will it look laid out ? Are there better options of porcelain out there ?

thanks for your advice in advance
Ann :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help newbie! -- To Marble or not to Marble.

I like the porcelain! ...may be get an idea from this article i remember reading a while back.
enjoy you new home.

Here is a link that might be useful: grout size

o

Just remembered...since you are tiling the floor may be you would want to consider installing a heating system under the floor

Here is a link that might be useful: read about heating system

o

The marble is really pretty. I know that marble counter tops are prone to etching and wonder if things like wine and tomato juice might have the same effect if spilled on the floor?

o

Marble is a soft stone, I have it in my master bath. Looks great BUT its a master bath and doesn't get nearly as much traffic as your kitchen and living area. Go porcelain. Slightly less money but much easier to maintain and durability is superior. My 2 cents

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here