Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vadawg

Need to decide floor stain by Tues-help!

VADawg
9 years ago

Hi all,
Help! So I am literally stuck in my decision-making process on choosing a floor stain for my 1920's Craftsman bungalow remodel. Right now the floors are kind of a honeyish, natural color. Floor type is red oak. I wanted something darker and different (current home has honeyish floors, too) in the new house, and I've narrowed it down to Provinicial and Special Walnut. I've got two sample pieces of each stained, and samples directly on the floor in the house in two different places. Problem is, they all look different in each room depending on light, etc. It's no help! I'm mostly worried about upkeep of a dark floor like Provincial- I have two cats that shed and track litter everywhere. Will those show up more on the Provincial or do you have to go really dark (like Jacobean) until you have to worry about that? One minute I like the darker Provincial, the next the warmth (slightly reddish undertone) of the Special Walnut. I'm worried the Provincial will be too dark and the Special Walnut not dark enough. FYI, my contractor says he will not do any custom blends, so mixing is out. Please help!

Comments (5)