Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with finishing pine flooring with tung oil

Posted by xtreme_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 0:28

We have laid pine flooring (very dry and acclimated to home)and my husband has been applying 1850 Tung oil. We have been following the application instructions from Real Milk Paint Company using a roller to apply oil, leave it for 40 min then wipe off excess, repeat 24 hours later.

The problem is his second coat has left a thick glossy layer with gobs and puddles that have now cured...lovely. My instinct tells me he was thinking more is better and then not wiping the excess off but just moving it around.
I did the bathroom a few months ago and never had the same problem after 3 coats. He did better with the second floor but it still ended up glossy...shouldn't it be smooth and matte?
I have started sanding it all off the worst floor to start over. I tried just doing a light sanding but it just left spots of white all over.
Does anyone have any tips on avoiding this next time around?
Could it be that his first coat saturated the wood and it doesn't need any more coats?
Is there a better application method we could be using?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with finishing pine flooring with tung oil

Hi. I'm currently applying tung oil to pine flooring. I started by looking for advice on the internet and found a lot of conflicting advice. I bought some Liberon Pure Tung Oil and read the instructions on the tin.
I guess with all oils, the wood will absorb it to a certain degree, then i think you will reach a point of 'saturation'.
I started by thinning the oil with 50% white spirit and made up 1 Litre of this solution. (500ml Tung with 500ml White Spirit).
I brushed on the oil and wiped off any excess after about an hour. Be careful and don't be too generous with the oil! It helps if you can look across the floor into a light (window) as this will highlight any missed areas. Leave it 24 hours and apply another coat.
I've just finished applying my second coat today.
I'm going to leave it a further 24 hours before i apply the 'neat' Tung oil. I've tested this process on a small table, so i'll check the look of this before I commit myself!
A long drawn out process, but satisfying once done. It feels nice under foot, and thinking about is a lot more forgiving than varnishing or waxing(!). Tung oil is apparently very resistant to water, alcohol and food acids. Hope this helps. Warren.

Here is a link that might be useful: Power Tool Warehouse.

o

I would buff the floor with a floor maintainer with a fine pad. That will gently abrade up all the finish that's sitting on the wood. If it leaves obvious swirls, you may be able to hand-buff with the grain using a cut-up piece of the same pad. Pure oil finishes cannot form surface films, or as you have witnessed, they puddle and wrinkle. For a final finish, once the swirls are gone, you can wipe on a very thin coat of the oil and let it fully dry before stepping on it; this should create an even look. Wipe with a very fine cotton lint-free cloth.
Casey

o

Here is the most informative page on finishes I've found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finishing including tung oil

o

This is the most informative page on finishing. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here