Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bullnose corners and shoe molding

Posted by newtomb1 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 0:15

We had new oak floors and white baseboards installed for our remodel. there are gaps between the floor and the baseboards, some areas are 1/8 inch. we had decided to install shoe molding to cover them but our contractor claims that shoe molding can't be installed on bullnose corners. Is that correct? It seems like it would look odd to not have shoe molding around the corners.

Other option would be to scribe the baseboards but the contractor says they may look wavy afterwards. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bullnose corners and shoe molding

What is a bullnose corner? If it's where the base is rounded at the corners, I've seen shoemold installed on those. I've seen jobs with pre-made inside and outside corners on the shoemold. It wouldn't be too hard to make corners or you could have a millwork make them.
You might be able to wrap flexible shoemold around the corners and miter the ends to meet the wood shoemold on the longer runs. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R98WTO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39EAJK4Y34QD0
I assume you're referring to gaps UNDER the base, not next to it. Scribing the base should fix these, especially if you only have 1/8" gaps. Scribing shouldn't make the base look wavy if done correctly.
It seems like your contractor is discouraging you from either method to remedy this problem. What does he suggest?

o

my contractor doesn't think it looks that bad. I disagree and don't want bugs and dirt collecting under there.

o

Even if you did close that gap it wont keep bugs or dirt from getting back in the walls.

Now closing the gap makes for a better look. And i agree with you that it looks tacky. Especially if its brand new. A good finish carpetner shouldnt even flinch when told to scribe base to a floor. Its almost second nature to them.

o

gregmills - our GC is the one installing the baseboards. He does do some carpentry but maybe he doesn't have enough experience with this? Should I try to hire someone else to do this?

So we should we scribe vs shoe molding?

jfcwood - our walls are rounded so yes that's what I mean by bullnose corner.

thanks so much for the responses!

o

my contractor doesn't think it looks that bad. I disagree and don't want bugs and dirt collecting under there.

o

There are pieces of molding made to match bullnose corners, or you can use multiple miters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here