Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linday12_gw

best carpet for pet owners

linday12
11 years ago

Help! I have 5 little dogs and need new carpet. Is there a carpet out there that is truly pet urine resistant? Not just stains, but odor too? Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (11)

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

Linday -- you must love your dogs. I do too.

No carpet will survive dog urine. You need a hard surface. Carpet is porous, it will soak up and absorb any liquid. Blot if you want, use every/any cleaner, stain resister, pet De-odrizer, backing soda, etc. It will still be absorbed, it will still penetrate to the pad, it will stain and smell.

As I type this, I am taking a break from pulling up stained carpet from my aging dog. I tried for the last year to clean-up and prevent every soil -- no luck -- it is disgusting. I'm going with new HARD flooring (not sure what) but carpet is NOT the answer with any dogs that have "accidents". Sorry. :(

• linday12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what hubby said. I just didn't want tile in the bedroom, but I know it's stupid to put in carpet that I will have to replace again in a couple of years. Oh well...and yes, I do love them too much to get rid of them. Two of them are very old and I will not replace them, though.

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

Linday, it is a challenge with the bedroom. You may want to think about a hard surface (tile, engineered wood, laminate, etc.) and then buy a really cheap area rug or just use throw rugs. Then you have a durable floor underneath and can just roll-up the area rug occasionally for professional cleaning or just launder the throw rugs.

I get your feelings about the pups -- I always say ... I love my dogs but they are a lot of work!! My old dog I've had longer than my husband -- trust me -- I use that argument when we fight about the "dogs". LOL.

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

linday, why are the dogs peeing in the house? Is it an age/illness problem? Or is it a small dog-small bladder problem? Is it all the dogs, or just one? Is it one spot, or do you find it everywhere?

There might be solutions that allow you to get new carpet and keep the dogs.

• linday12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Two of them are very old, but surprisingly, they are not the worst offenders. It is the 2 chihuahuas. They do not pee on the tile, only the 2 carpeted rooms downstairs. I plan on continuing the tile into the dining room, but really wanted to keep carpet in the bedroom. Plus, our bedroom is about 350 sq ft, not counting the bathroom which I would have to demolish existing tile to include so it would all flow together. Quite an expense!

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

Do they do it when you're at home, or just when they are home alone? Do they keep using the same spot? Do they pee outside when given the opportunity?

Our neighbors have 2 small dogs, and when the people aren't home, the dogs are isolated in a room with vinyl flooring, with a couple of piddle pads on the floor. If they do have to go, they use the pads.

I would not put in new carpet until the dogs are completely trained. I suspect the odor is beyond your ability to remove it; you might have to pull the carpet (maybe even replace some subfloor) to get rid of the odor, to get the dogs to understand that it isn't a toilet.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Put them in crates when you go out.

Each in a separate small crate.

Dogs HATE living in their pee.

A crate large enough for both is probably large enough to pee at one end.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 15:24

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    11 years ago

If you get new bedroom carpet -- why don't you just keep them out of your bedroom?

Carpet is way to expensive to be peed on!

• czecheart
    10 years ago

I am tending to agree not to put new carpet in until the dog situation gets under control. However, I was at HD the other day looking at carpeting. I noticed that they do offer some carpeting which has a lifetime guarantee, including pet concerns ( not sure about odors). If you weren't aware of this, may be worth checking out. Good luck.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's not the carpet, it's the padding.

Look at "Flor" ... carpet tiles that can be removed for cleaning or replacement.

Buy extras.

• PRO
    Carpet Renovations, Inc.
    7 years ago

Yes, LifeGuard Carpet is new to the market, the reason it is pet resistant is because pet urine can not penetrate past the Thermoplastic backing so pet urine will stay on the surface where it can be professionally steam cleaned and removed. Problem with other carpets in the past is that once pet urine penetrates into the backing of the carpet it gets trapped and when you have it cleaned the stains wick back up from underneath.LifeGuard Carpet's Thermoplastic backing is 100% impenetrable and pet urine absolutely cant get past the surface of the carpet. This is your best purchase as a pet owner.