Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
znarf719

Oak Floor

znarf719
10 years ago

I posted earlier about my concern over the match of prefinished red oak floors to builder-built red oak treads. Here's a photo at the top of the stairs. The reddish wood is the prefinished. The yellowish are the treads made and finished by the builder. They don't match. The builder says both will "oxidize" to eventually blend. Really? If they change at all, why wouldn't it continue to be in different directions.

Sorry for the second post...couldn't figure out how to add a photo to the chain.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (7)

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Znarf, you can put more than one picture in a single post by using a photo-hosting site like Photobucket.

And you can always put the second photo in a second post on the same thread.

Sometimes, though, the site software is happier if you change the title of your subsequent post, especially if you're posting a second post in a row. I've had that happen. [The software gets all uptight because it's trying to prevent duplicate posts.]

It would probably be best (i.e. get you an answer quicker and avoid confusion) if you add this photo to the other thread and link here to the original thread.

Sorry I can't answer your floor question -- but somebody will know!

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Yeah youre builder should have used an oil based polyurethane to get the color right.
    It looks like he used a water bourne urethane.

They will never look the same. It looks like he made the nosings as well?
    To fix im pretty sure he would have to sand them down and start over.

• znarf719
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The builder used a water based poly, which is what the prefinished company used as well and recommends. The builder is now suggesting a lightly tinted stain followed by clear coat poly but doesn't recommend it. Another opinion from a company that sells the same prefinished floor is that it will all blend to the same color. Not at all sure what to do here! Adding a closeup photo.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

In my opinion, the waterbourne polyurethane has nothing to do with the flooring and the stairs not matching. The red oak of your flooring is redder than the red oak of the stairs. I don't think the finishing materials in your case has anything to do with the final outcome. If you notice, there are two boards in your photo that are not as red as the others.
    I have done many red oak floors and installed and finished red oak steps. Some red oak wood is naturally more red than others. You can try and blend the stairs with the flooring, however you cannot achieve a perfect match, as the wood color is different to begin with.

By the way, I think the slight contrast and difference between the stairs and the flooring looks good, but that's just my design interpretation.

• znarf719
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for these thoughts. Unfortunately, we're not coming up with a common answer to this--through this blog and elsewhere. Except that two opinions like the current look. Maybe we'll have to modify our thinking--the cheapest and easiest, yet most difficult, thing to do...

• peony4
    10 years ago

Znarf719, we have prefinished red oak floors in our home, and builder-installed treads. A few years ago, I removed the carpet runner on the treads and sanded/polyed them myself. There is a noticeable difference, although not as much as in your photos. It's apparent that your prefinished is newly installed because it still has that new tint to it that will fade over time. (Our red oak has slightly yellowed a bit over time.)

I can think of a few steps that may improve this. First, perhaps the builder can switch out some of the pieces of flooring leading up to the treads that are less pink, so there is a gradation of sorts, between the two.

A much more expensive option is to replace the treads with the same prefinished planks as your flooring. We had this done several years ago in a previous home--the treads were laid side by side on a vertical going up the stairs. It was very labor-intensive with lots of cuts. $$$

As they are, I think they look fine, although I understand your annoyance. I've just gradually accepted mine and hardly notice anymore. If these are stairs leading to a second story, if you paint the risers white, the wood differences will be much less noticeable looking up the stairs, at least.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

No expert by any means, but the last photo looks like white oak against red oak.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz