Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bona Traffic vs Bona Mega

Posted by GreenDog194 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 23:44

Hi, I specified Bona Traffic to my contractor, but his flooring sub has finished our engineered rift sawn white oak floors in Bona Mega. We have two boys and will have a medium sized dog. There is tile in the kitchen and entry ways.

I'm miffed, but before I go ballistic, please educated me on the quality differences of the two products. I've read the specs and see that Bona Traffic is more durable. I'd like real world advice.

Can I have them put Bona Traffic over Bona Mega?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bona Traffic vs Bona Mega

Bona Traffic is more durable then bona mega or any other single componet urethane.

But it cost almost double than Bona Mega. And not every flooring contractor likes Bona products. Its a popular brand but if a flooring guy has bad luck with a product trust me they stop using it.

But on the flip side if you floor guy doesnt have a problem with Traffic then i would see why he wont use it as long as youre willing to pay more.

o

If you paid for Traffic, then the contractor owes you the difference in product cost.

Yes, a coat of Traffic can be applied over Mega. However, Mega or any other existing coat needs to be be properly prepared to be successful.

Just so you know...there is Traffic and then Traffic HD...and yes Traffic HD costs more than Traffic.

I just returned from a job I did with Traffic that is eight years in service in an active house; floors, steps and trim. Except for the usual damage from denting, the floors look fabulous. Some will tell you that Traffic is overkill...well that overkill looks awfully good after eight years.

Most of the contractor complaints regarding Bona products resides in the higher product costs and recent Bona marketing practices in the U.S.

o

Yes, the Traffic can be applied over Mega. Personally I believe Traffic is overkill in most cases but if you did pay for it, you should get it.
Before proceeding with another coat, consider how good the floor looks now with respect to how perfect the coat is and whether there will be a difference in sheen from the Traffic.
If you like the sheen and the coat is 95% of perfect I'd seriously consider leaving it. If they charged for Traffic, have them credit you the difference or an amount equal to their cost of doing a recoat. I don't like having too many coats of urethane because you start losing the grain texture on the surface.

o

If you have a contract that states Bona Traffic, I'd make them apply Bona Traffic - I would not accept a refund for the difference.

As a DIY'er I remodeled our kitchen in 2005, and installed a maple floor. I used Bona Traffic, and the floor looks almost as good as the day I finished it. It's a good product.

What a bunch of idiots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here