Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Footprints on wood floor!

Posted by ladoladi (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 23:25

Hi:

We recently put down strand-woven bamboo floors in our whole house. The stain is walnut and the finish is a 7-layer aluminum oxide. The installer was using Old English to polish the floors and coated them in a heavy layer after installation. He said the "initial soak" would keep the floors shiny, but recommended we clean them with a water and vinegar mixture.

I've been reading up on how to clean these floors, and everyone seems to have different and conflicting suggestions. Overall, it seems that Old English/Murphy's Oil Soap/Orange-Glo are NOT the right products to use on pre-finished floors. So, needless to say I'm a tad miffed at the installer.

I went to National Vacuum to purchase a canister vacuum and spotted a floor cleaner they had. The salesman demonstrated its evaporation rate and assured me it was neutral pH, which seemed like what I needed. The product is called P&H Floor Cleaner by Exact-Chem. It doesn't really have an ingredients list.

Anyways, the reason I am posting is because this is what the floor looks like just a couple of hours after vacuuming and damp mopping:

img_0687

img_0686

Is this the "film" everyone talks about after they put Murphy's Oil Soap on pre-finished floors (and so my installer messed up)? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Footprints on wood floor!

Its got to be the installer issue. Contact the retailer who installed it for you and they will make it right. they will have the contacts, and the resources available to resolve it immediately for you. They will remedy it and remove it from the installers fee. The old english is an oily base and will come off I am sure, but the retailer will take responsibility to eliminate the problem and do it fast. Good luck and awaiting your answer. PS..just dont go free lancing here and taking shots in the dark at cleaning i as you want no finish damage....contact the local retailer....Keep them on the hook..that is what you pay them for...

o

its hard to imagine the installer would do something so stupid. I've always suggested you use a product recommended by the mfctr or use a cleaner made by a finish mfctr. Bona sold at Home Depot seems to work fine. I'm afraid there are lots of opinions on this forum but there enough experts who deal with flooring to give you the right answer. In reality with AO prefinished wood, you probably don't need a 'cleaner' other than a spray bottle of water and a microfiber mop. I wouldn't be damp mopping either.

o

Dark floors always show stuff. But "Olde English" scratch cover...why? Weird. Yes, go back to the retailer for help and guidance.

o

Thank you so much for your replies!

Boxers -- Yeah, I used the phrase "damp mopping" incorrectly. I'm currently using a micro-fiber mop and a spray bottle with a solution of that P & H cleaner and water. I call it damp mopping because it's a mop and it gets damp. Ha! But I'm certainly not using a bucket. =]

o

damp mopping is everything from what you do to a bucket of water and a string mop! I went on a complaint where they said they only 'damp mopped'. When I saw how they were doing it the maintenance people were flooding the floor with water and it was supposed to be a 'manufacturing' issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here