Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarina_gw

Carpet remnants

Sarina
11 years ago

Do people still use these? Moving will have hardwood in great room which we did not think we were going to do, So until I can save up for a good rug I was going to get a carpet remnant to warm it up in there .

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

By the time you get that remnant bound so it won't ravel and shed, you could have bought a good rug.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Really the rugs I saw are like 2 and 3 k that I like? Do you have a source for rugs that look good that are less?

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

By the time you get that remnant bound so it won't ravel and shed, you could have bought a good rug.

Not true where I am. Maybe because we are looking for a large (10' x 14') area rug. Plus, I can get one made from SmartStrand.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am looking also for a big area 10 x 14 or so ,the rugs I like and have seen are up there in prices. This would give me time if I got the remnant to look for one I like on sale or a better buy .

• Laura6NJ
    11 years ago

So, when you say you can get it made do you mean they will put a binding on it so it doesn't unravel at the edges? If so, and it is affordable then do that for now. Your other option which is not as pretty is to buy the tape for the edges which prevents unraveling.

Not sure where you are located but if you have "The Dump" store near you then check out what they have. We found a 12 x 10 ft area rug that should have been really expensive, I got it on clearance pricing at the dump for $199.

They have a huge selection of rugs at their NJ locations but, and this is a big but, you really need 2 people because the rugs that are piled are heavy to go through. Some rugs are hung up and you can flip through them but others are piled flat. Ours was one of the only ones that cheap that was hung up, of course I made my husband help me go through the pile first.

Make sure you buy a good quality pad so the hardwood under the rug doesn't wear.

Also check the big box stores, they have area rugs and remnants on clearance somewhat regularly for really good prices. I put a nice berber with a thick pad in our twin toddlers bedroom just in case they climbed/fell out of their cribs. I paid less than $80 for the berber. I actually spent alot more on the pad for it.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes you get them bound we did this all the time when hubby was in military and we lived in base housing. Some housing had ugly school like tile and a few actually had hardwood . We always had rugs we had made and a few we carried from place to place as we sure would not going to wall to wall base housing. So yes they would be bound so it would be bound on edges so as not to ravel.

• User
    11 years ago

Here, seam binding with a bias tape is $5 a foot from one shop only and remnants aren't really that much cheaper than just roll goods. You can get it serge bound for $2-3 a foot, but that won't last and not that many people offer that either. By the time you pay $200 for the binding and another $200 for the carpet, you could have bought a rug that would be more "decor" like. Home Decorator's Outlet and Overstock have rugs as affordable as remnants.

• User
    11 years ago

Here, seam binding with a bias tape is $5 a foot from one shop only and remnants aren't really that much cheaper than just roll goods. You can get it serge bound for $2-3 a foot, but that won't last and not that many people offer that either. By the time you pay $200 for the binding and another $200 for the carpet, you could have bought a rug that would be more "decor" like. Home Decorator's Outlet and Overstock have rugs as affordable as remnants.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Binding here is $2 a linear foot from more than one carpet dealer. I can get SmartStrand remnants for under $2 a sq foot. A "decor" like rug is not going to come in a 10' x 14' size and won't clean as well as the SmartStrand. And if I get a SmartStrand in a fleck, it will be plenty "decor" like for me.