Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnneumann

Can an experienced carpet layer fix this? [PHOTO]

johnneumann
10 years ago

I have two side by side carpeted mini-bedrooms, each 10 x 10 feet. I recently removed the wall between the two to make one 10 x 20 foot TV room.

I now have this almost ten foot long bald strip going down the center of the room. Pictures attached.

I happen to have a leftover swatch of this carpet, about 2' x 6', laying around ... and I'm wondering if a carpet layer who knows what he's doing would be able to cut a couple of strips and lay them down in this bald patch in such a way as to make it look pretty much seamless - making it look as though the whole 10 x 20 foot room had been professionally carpeted all at once.

I would even attempt it myself, but I can see where on each side of the "alley" the carpet bows down over the tack strip ... so I'm assuming that the existing carpet would have to be pulled up and a new tack strip layed down an inch over that the existing carpet and the new narrow strip would share, allowing for a seamless look with no dip between where once piece of carpet ends and another begins. I've never layed carpet, so I'm not sure I could do a convincing job.

Is this easy for a carpet layer to do? Or am I doomed to spending the money to have the entire room recarpeted (with the same carpet!) just to get rid of this ugly bald strip?

If it can be done, how much should I expect to pay for such a custom service?

The rooms are full of heavy furniture. Would a carpet layer need to have the entire room vacated, or does he just need access to the edge of the carpet that he would be working with?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor