Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingodemayo

First time refinishing wood floor

dingodemayo
10 years ago

I recently moved into an apartment where three issues destroyed a dark stained wood mud room floor. 1. The previous tenant kept small dogs in there and they urinated constantly on the floor and it ate away at the sealant. 2. To get rid of the horrible smell we had to soak the floor in a 1/2" of bleach for 6-8 hours total. And 3. A leaky radiator left gallons of water soaking on the floor, further damaging it. So now I am left with an ugly floor that soaks every liquid up and makes it stink! The corners of the room are still nice but the majority looks awful. I would like to refinish the floors and have gotten numerous recommendations about hood finishing products and was planning to use namely the wiping wood stain in ebony (as this is darker than the current stain) and the hydrocoate clear polyurethane in satin (don't like super shiny wood floors). I'm quite new to this and don't mind working for awhile and its only about a 7' x 9' room. I have a hand sander that I plan on using and will do the corners by hand, but what is the process? I've read about twenty how to's without a definitive plan on the order of things, sand paper grit, etc. also, many people have told me if I don't sand down past all of the current stain, the floor won't accept new stain. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (2)