Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bertazonni

Marmoleum over a radiant floor

bertazonni
17 years ago

We have radiant heat throughout our apartment (water pipes -- not electric)...is there anyone who has information about how to successfully install sheet Marmoleum over a radiant floor? I've been getting mixed advice from my local floor product suppliers about the viability of this plan.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• floorman67
    17 years ago

Forbo Installation Manual
    "... Forbo floor coverings may be installed over radiant heated floors provided the operating temperature does not exceed 85 Degrees Farenheit. To allow proper adhesion of the adhesive to the subfloor the radiant heating system should be lowered,or turned off for at least 48 hours prior to installation of the Forbo flooring material.This is to ensure the surface temperature of the subfloor does not exceed 65o F during the installation of the flooring material. The room temperature must be maintained at a minimum of 65o F prior to, during,and after installation for 72 hours after which the temperature of the radiant heating system can be increased.When raising the floor temperature,do so gradually so that the substrate and flooring material can adapt to the temperature change together. A rapid change could result in bonding problems. For more information, contact Forbo Linoleum Technical Services. ..."

Here is a link that might be useful: Forbo Installation Manual

• lagom
    16 years ago

Mr Floorman67??!!---HELP! We are installing hydronic flooring in our new home. Most of the house will be heart pine (likely engineered) but I really wanted Marmoleum tiles (not sheet) for bathrooms, laundry and mudrooms but the sales guy at our local flooring store said Forbo will not warrant the product (tiles) if installed over radiant (hydronic not electric) floor. He said there would be an issue with the glue...my thought was isn't the same glue used on the sheet or strip? Thanks for any advice

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

I have the same question: can we install marmoleum tiles over hydronic radiant flooring? I Hope someone out there can advise. Thanks.

• WhiskyWoman
    11 years ago

4. warm & comfortable
    Because Marmoleum Click is a natural product, like wood, it makes your home snug and warm. It reaches room temperature quickly and is suitable to install over hydronic radiant heat systems. Marmoleum Click features a cork backing for quiet and comfort underfoot.

Here is a link that might be useful: info on Marmoleum Click

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

Thanks, WhiskyWoman! I was concerned that it would insulate against the heat because of the cork backing and the boiler would be running forever but I think you've answered my question.