Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drybean_gw

Should I be reimbursed for xtra wood left over after installation

drybean
13 years ago

We had hw floors installed in our family room and mbr, to match the existing in rest of house.

There were a lot of bundles left over when the job was finished...at least 10. They were unopened bundles, not damaged boards. I know that ordering a waste allowance is common, but the guys who were laying the floor only discarded one plank.

They took the extra wood with them when they left. Since the price I was quoted included all the material, should I ask to have that price reduced?

Husband says definitely. I say I'm not so sure.

Comments (6)

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

That should be all of YOUR extra wood in case there is any damage in the future and planks have to be replaced. Also they really over estimated the wood allowance to have that many boxes left and I wonder if any of the unopened boxes can be returned for a refund?

• Floortech
    13 years ago

It depends on how your job was quoted. If it was quoted as a complete job then you are definitely not entitled to a refund. If you were sold x amount of boxes and the labor separated, then those boxes should be deducted. If you bought an installed package, it is really none of your business how many boxes were brought on to the site. they should leave you with a minor % of boards in case of repair ever needed. Other than that, it goes back to the store. If they were short, would you have paid more to complete the job. Heck No. The knife does cut both ways in business and they purchased enough flooring to do the job correctly. Unless they sold you x amount of boxes and was priced that way. That is a completely different story.

• boxers
    13 years ago

I was always told that 10% extra for overage was pretty std. Depending on the size of your install and the amt of SF left over you can figure out how much was 'too' much.

• drybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Floortech-Thanks for your reply. I checked out the quote, and here is what it reads exactly:
    Labor & Material to supply, install, sand and finish with 2 coats of poly in the F/R & Master B/R
    1. 754 s/f of 2 �" #1 Common White Oak @ $x.xx sq. ft. = $xxxx�
    2. Take off & put back trim in M/BR= $ 175.00
    Total = $xxxx.xx

They did have to order the wood for this job from their supplie. They required a downpayment to order the material (standard, I know).

So that leads me to believe that it is as you said, an installed package and the cost of the extra material should not be taken off the quote. I was just curious if it was technically 'my wood' or not. But I see what you are saying, and I appreciate the input.

Boxers-10% is what I had found to be the standard for overage as well. I'm not sure how much sq. footage each bundle covered (they were not in boxes). But it looked like a lot of extra wood!

Lynn-They didn't leave me any extra wood! I should call them and ask about that.

Thanks again to all.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Floortech, thanks for this insite for my next job when I am ready to do my upstairs.

• woodfloorpro
    13 years ago

When we do custom sand and finish installations we will often bring more wood into the house than is needed. Any left over goes back to our warehouse. A 10% waste factor is our standard for installation.
    Your contractor would serve himself better not to give a square foot amount to avoid this issue. I never quote the square footage of a job but the areas to be covered.