Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

excruciatingly squeaky floorboard in my new construction...

Suzy
13 years ago

we have a VERY squeaky floorboard at the top of the stairs in our house. it's been there since the house was built 9 months ago and the builder said there's nothing he can do about it. he said there's no joist under that area to screw into. what can we do? it drives me up a wall. it's so loud and it's in a spot where everyone walks all the time!

Comments (9)

• don92
    13 years ago

What do you mean by " floor board "? Hardwood flooring? Why would you screw into a joist?
    Most squeaks are caused by a poorly nailed subfloor
    If it is hardwood flooring you may be able to shim, screw or glue from underneath. Remove a bit of drywall from below and see whats going on. Perhaps a trim screw ( very small head ) through the offending board and into the subfloor may work.

We just need a little more info.

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, it's hardwood. i've seen this thing called the "squeak no more" but it only works if you have a joist below the squeaky board. other issue is that we have a stair runner that goes up the stairs and down the hallway and covers the squeaky area.

• don92
    13 years ago

A squeak is usually the sub floor and not the hardwood. If you are sure it is the hardwood flooring and you have a runner then that is in your favor. A 2" trim screw will go through the nap in the runner, into the hardwood and subfloor. Drill a small pilot hole through the hardwood first so you don't split the hardwood. Make sure to drive the screw in just enough to get rid of squeak and not all the way through the hardwood. If you ever remove the runner you will have some small holes to putty. No big deal.

• Suzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i don't know...it could be the subfloor. i was just saying that it squeaks when you step on a particular area of the hardwood floor.

• don92
    13 years ago

If it is the hardwood just do as I said above. If it is the subfloor it means a subfloor nail is going up and down in a joist causing the squeak. Do as above but you have to find the joist to screw into. The Contractor is just flat wrong. If there is a squeak and it is the subfloor, there is a joist.

Or go from underneath and glue and shim. Thats what I would do. Thats what the Contractor should do. Its an easy fix for a Contractor; a little drywall patching. To say there is nothing he can do is his way of saying he doesn't want to be bothered. Bother him!

• woodfloorpro
    13 years ago

If it's a prefinished floor and you have some or access to more, it is no big deal to take some out and get to the crux of the problem.
    Should it be custom finished a good flooring company can do the same but more skill is required. Either way a pro can deal with it.
    My guess is the contractor installed it and does not know what to do and is afraid (because it's out of pocket) to hire someone who can fix it.

• HU-243698117
    3 years ago

Hello everyone. I have the same problem. I just purchased a new home been living in it for about 3-4 months. Since we moved in multiple areas of the flooring under the carpet on the second floor that has been making noise. The builder has sent a crew to fix the areas twice but when they fix one spot another one just pops up. Asked the builder to just redo the whole floors but now they say they can only come out once per warranty and that it is normal to have noise. They said it is not abnormal to have noise and that some deflection is necessary since that was the way the engineers designed it. The noises are annoying and now I don't know what to do. Who do I call to fix the floors and is it really normal to have squeaks in the floor. This really makes me upset, that we spent a large amount of money and there are so many problems. I am not a handy person to do it myself. I would like to know who can I call and is there any legal advise on how to get the builder to fix it since it is obliviously poor workmanship. One of the crews they sent out stated that the floors needed to be screwed down and they should have not used nails. Please help with any suggestions.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

HU-243698117, your best bet is to start your own thread. Please post pictures of the area in question. I assume this is a tract or developer home? Is the entire area where the squeaks occur carpet? Deflection?