Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing dark urine stains from hardwood floors

Posted by spinachqueen (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 21:53

How do I remove dark urine stains from hardwood floors. Our dog has been urinating on a rug under table and I've just discovered it. Any advice? It's really dark!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing dark urine stains from hardwood floors

You can't. You will have to replace the stained material.

o

You may be able to sand down to unstained wood and re-seal.

o

"You may be able to sand down to unstained wood and re-seal."

The problem that usually shows up is that the urine can penetrate at the joints between the strips of floor, and you simply cannot 'sand out' enough to remove the staining that came in from the edge of the strips.

If it is a small area you can remove strips and replace them.

If the floor is old look at closets fr a ready source of matching wood.

The new wood in the closet will not show as badly

o

Thanks for your advice. This is depressing! We'll just have to see how it works out.

o

If the floor was NOT prefinished, then the cracks should be sealed and the urine will not have gone down between the planks. Rent an orbital sander and test it out - it's not expensive to rent one for the weekend, then you can reseal it if you are successful in getting down past the stains.

o

"If the floor was NOT prefinished, then the cracks should be sealed and the urine will not have gone down between the planks"

A site finish does not seal the floor longer than the first heating season.

The wood shrinks, and every joint opens slightly.

o

From my one-time experience in fixing a urine stain on a hardwood floor which was site finished (renter's litterbox leaked and had no mat underneath), it was easy to sand down past the stain and refinish. So I think there is at least a chance that this is easy to fix. I would certainly try the sanding down before ripping it out and replacing it.

o

You could sand all the way to plywood and never get the stain out. Just sayin' Remember the sandable thickness is only about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch. At that depth you hit nails/staples in the tongue.

o

I have the same problem. I just ordered a wood bleach. I'm going to lightly sand my floor in that area, and then apply the wood bleach. I will then put sealer on top. I hope it works. I will let you know.

o

Follow all the directions on the wood bleach. Some of that stuff is real caustic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here