Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makanimauka

Calibamboo install problems--please help!

makanimauka
10 years ago

Hello,
I recently purchased some click and lock Cali bamboo flooring and am having a professional installer do the job. I bought the click and lock (paid more $ for this feature) because it's supposed to be easy for do-it-yourselfers and I like the idea of not having glue or nails. When I got the flooring delivered (that's another frustrating story!) I stacked it like they recommended to let acclimatize for a couple weeks. I was so excited to get this floor in! Problem is, the click and lock is not so easy as they say it is. The boards aren't locking together. I contacted the company who insists that it's an installation issue and has given some tips like to tap it. The customer service rep claims these floors aren't as easy to click and lock. WHY DO THEY ADVERTISE IT AS EASY? We tried their suggestions and the same thing happens. The board just pops out at the moment it's supposed to lock together. It's like there's too much wax in the grooves. My installer has been doing floors for over 30 years and thinks the only way to get it in is to scrape off the wax in the groove but the company says we can't do that. Does anyone have any tips or experience they've had with this particular flooring? I just want my floor in!!! Please help!

This post was edited by makanimauka on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 21:56

Comments (3)

• JadedBaroness
    10 years ago

I hope someone responds...I'm considering cali bamboo floors and was looking for experiences..I hope all works out with your floors! :(

• makanimauka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi JadedBaroness,
    Thanks for the support. I, too, hope someone responds. This has been a nightmare from the start. What makes it worse is that the company doesn't believe me. :( I bought them at Lowes and they are doing what they can to help. I really hope it doesn't come down to getting new floors because I can't afford the time to ship (to Hawaii) and extra $ to box and restack and wait for acclimatization (3 weeks for his humidity)--not to mention the extra installation charge and hassle for approximately 1000 square ft. of flooring to finish what was started. My advice at this point would be to consider a different product that's made by a company who supports their customers better. I am surprised at the way Cali Bamboo is going about this. It is a beautiful product, and if you do go with Cali Bamboo, then DON'T GET the click and lock that costs more because it's supposed to be easy for do-it-yourselfers. My installer says that t&g would have been way easier and it had even crossed his mind to cut the planks into boards and glue it all. I told him no way!!! Haha. I was worried about voiding the warranty but seeing how the company is handling this issue I can't see them being so forthright on the warranty. :(

Good luck to you!

• Andy Farrell
    7 years ago

This is very late, but your assumption regarding the wax is correct. I installed approximately 2180sqft of calibamboo in our house over a year ago. During installation, I found the same issue and started inspecting the grooves and found that on a significant number of planks there was excessive amounts of wax physically blocking the planks from interlocking. I simply grabbed a paint mixing stick and smoothed the wax down. 2180 sqft, and 1 year later the floor looks amazing and there has been no issues.