Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to put on chair/table legs to protect wood floor?

Posted by manzanita (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 21:45

We've just completed installing a bamboo floor. What should I put on table and chair feet to help protect the floor? When I had Oak flooring a few years back, it was recommended to use wool "felt" on the feet. Is that still the case or is there something better?

This is at the beach and we knew the risks of installing wood and sand but it still seemed like the best option for the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to put on chair/table legs to protect wood floor?

o
RE: What to put on chair/table legs to protect wood floor?

I did not see what the links above pulled up (probably what I am going to describe)but go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have several options. For chairs and other furniture with legs, they have various sizes of plastic disks with a special sleeve mounted to them to hammer into the bottom of the legs. The nature of the sleeve makes it so it WILL NOT split any wood, they remain securely fastened and are ideal for furniture that is moved often like chairs and I have used them on some pretty nice antique pieces with no problems (when you see the construction, you will understand better). These disks are covered with a dense wool felt. For other pieces (those that are not moved often), they have peel and stick pieces that can be cut to size and adhered to the bottom of furniture. In each case, the felt lasts forever. We have had some for 15 years that are still in good shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here