Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

What can I do w/ this floor?

chris11895
13 years ago

Hi,

We are going to be moving in about a year and are trying to upgrade some features of our house which are less than desirable. One area is the kitchen floor. Our kitchen is rather open to the Family room where there are HW floors, yet the kitchen has radiant heat and super cheap stick on tiles, family room does not have radiant heat. There is also almost a 1" gap between the floor in the family room and the kitchen. If we weren't moving I'd pull up both floors and redo them, since the family room floor doesn't even match the wide pine in the rest of the house, but, we know we're moving. SO, my question is this: What should and can I do with these floors? Can you do hardwood over radiant heat? I would think you could rectify the level issue w/ padding your subflooring but will that have a negative impact on the heat? If I did tile I don't know if it will look weird because it's kind of a large area that would just end at hardwood and then you'd turn a corner and see yet a different type of floor. Not sure if that would draw attention to the issues. Anyhow, any and all ideas are welcome!

Comment (1)