Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I do w/ this floor?

Posted by chris11895 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 21:00

Hi,
We are going to be moving in about a year and are trying to upgrade some features of our house which are less than desirable. One area is the kitchen floor. Our kitchen is rather open to the Family room where there are HW floors, yet the kitchen has radiant heat and super cheap stick on tiles, family room does not have radiant heat. There is also almost a 1" gap between the floor in the family room and the kitchen. If we weren't moving I'd pull up both floors and redo them, since the family room floor doesn't even match the wide pine in the rest of the house, but, we know we're moving. SO, my question is this: What should and can I do with these floors? Can you do hardwood over radiant heat? I would think you could rectify the level issue w/ padding your subflooring but will that have a negative impact on the heat? If I did tile I don't know if it will look weird because it's kind of a large area that would just end at hardwood and then you'd turn a corner and see yet a different type of floor. Not sure if that would draw attention to the issues. Anyhow, any and all ideas are welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I do w/ this floor?

You certainly can put radiant heat under hardwood. If you use the right materials, it works like a charm. Engineered wood might be a little more stable than 3/4" strip flooring if you have a lot of humidity and temperature swings. What tends to happen in those circumstances is that spaces can open between the strips of HW. I have never had such a problem but know people who have. I consider it due to improper installation.

Google pex radiant underfloor heating systems. The best systems have pex with aluminum heat spreader plates. The pex is eitehr embedded in plywood underlayment or between large pieces of underlayment.

It is definitely a job that a do-it-yourselfer can do, although I would have a plumber tie it into your existing system. BTW, if you have baseboard heaters instead of underfloor radiant heat currently, you will have to add a means to drop the temperature in the underfloor heaters to 140 or below from the 180 or so that is used in baseboard systems. There are ways to do this that are not very complex.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here