Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direction of flooring

Posted by kay____h (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 20:14

I am in a conundrum. I have a D style log home, so all of the exterior walls of the house are finished knotty pine. Additionally, the ceilings are knotty pine. I love both. The floor, however, is a mish-mash of light oak, beige tile and beige carpet. It feels like being in a cardboard box. So we have selected a wonderful dark wood flooring this will contrast with the walls and we are going to run it throughout the house. (one story)

Now to the conundrum - The wood on the ceiling, throughout the house, runs north to south. So do the floor joists. By the rules, I should run the floor east and west, but I am afraid it will be like a checker box - cris-crossing like that. There are additional beams between the joists adding extra support to the flooring and the wood we have down now is running with the joists and it does not squeak, pop or otherwise appear defective.

We will be using 3/4" solid birch and understand that the warranty will be void if we lay with the joists. We are not terribly concerned about the warranty. We are concerned about the appearance. One other thing, the hallway in the house runs east and west so running it with the ceiling means short boards on the hallway - looks ok on the ceiling.

I guess I am just looking for a little reassurance. Or strong warnings!

Thanks,
Kay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direction of flooring

I know in our last couple of builds we wanted the floors to run the opposite way that they were installed, but due to the high cost of replacement and lack of warranty if anything went wrong we followed the suggested way. I thought the floors would look horrible and in the end they looked great and the board direction never made the big difference I thought it would.

All the best.

o

Thank you xc. I appreciate your input and hope for more. I know it is not something to stress over, but stress is just what I do.....

o

I think you would be quite okay running your flooring the opposite direction as you ceiling boards. You probably get more checkerboard effect now with your mish mash of materials then you will when it is all cohesive.

o

Thanks, I am beginning to think you are right. Honestly I don't notice things like that at other peoples home, I don't know why I would freak out about it in my own.

Kay.

o

I agree... You won't notice. Especially since it will be darker. Keep the warranty, and avoid any other issues (squeeks etc).

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here