Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slk230red

Click sound - Floating wood floor vs. Laminate

slk230red
10 years ago

Has anyone gone from laminate flooring to floating engineered wood flooring? I was wondering if the floating wood floor has less of a click sound compared to laminate flooring.

I'm sure that the quality of the under lament will make a difference too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

• SirJohn
    10 years ago

It depends, many floating engineered wood floors are not much different in construction than laminate, just uses a real wood layer on top instead of the melamine and image layer in laminate. A thicker engineered wood floor is generally better for noise, but the same could be said for laminate. Underlayment can make a huge difference in either type.

Laminate "clicking" noise can mean a lot of different things to different people. A lot of the creaks people hear are a result of the subfloor not being completely flat or from warping occuring due to improper acclimation or installatiom. As a result the planks flex when walked upon leading to creaks being heard. A floating engineered wood can experience the same thing.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

They are not going to be quiet and solid under foot. They sound different if you are wearing shoes and feel different under foot. Maybe the sound underlayment products help but I wouldn't expect it to be like a traditional floor. Make sure you try them out first. Clicky poppy noises, versus the hollow issue, is a bad install.