Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interesting tile from 60s

Posted by peonyfan (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 19:41

After removing carpet/transition strip from an adjacent area, I found the foyer in our 1960s house has some interesting tile under the existing flooring. I have a few problems and questions (see photos also). Some adhesive seems to have seeped onto the hardwood floors that we've just uncovered and that we'll refinish. How do we get that black stuff off? Next, how do I know it's safe or possible to take off the flooring (the brick-colored layer) to see if we might restore what's underneath? Finally, if it's possible to uncover the old tile, I notice that it is a textured surface that would seems to accumulate dirt, and I'm wondering if it is supposed to be filled with grout? The person who sold us this house believes the top layer of floor there in the foyer was put in ~20 years ago or more, and I believe the layer underneath was the original floor from 1966. I have a similar situation in a bathroom as well (original tile that I like under a layer put in ~20 years ago, except no black stuff) Thanks for any advice or info!

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l580/peonyfan/foyer/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interesting tile from 60s

The tile underneath it all I am sure is vinyl asbestos. The textured surface did indeed trap dirt and was never intended to be filled or grouted. You cannot reasonably restore this tile.

o
RE: interesting tile from 60s

The black stuff is the old tile mastic. It usually scrapes off. the floors look like all they need is a good cleaning and waxing.

The tiles? I'd carefully remove some of the top layer to get a larger sample of what's under there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here