Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealant for ceramic tile?

Posted by raghu813 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 19:25

Hi Folks,

The restaurant people at our school are asking for a sealant to protect the ceramic tile floor once they clean it. Any ideas?

Also, what is the best cleaning agent for the tile? (before we seal it)
Also, would using a power washer make sense?

Thanks for any tips.

Mike (from Oakland,CA)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealant for ceramic tile?

A glazed tile cant be sealed with success in my opinion. Have to know more about the tile and what is the cause for the statement. There are sealants for certain tile, slate etc. It needs to be a proper tile or you will have a disaster. Others on this board can give more detail I am sure.

o

If you mean actual ceramic or porcelean tile, there is no sealer required. Inherent to the design is the LACK of need for "sealing."

Grout can be sealed, natural stone or slate can be sealed, but not ceramic.

o

The only tiles that I know of that benefit from sealers is porous tiles such as travertine or tumbled marble. I had the latter I believe and purchased a DuPont product to seal it. I elected to use epoxy grout because my wife did not like the look of dirty grout and I didn't want that problem. When the installer rubbed the grout in, it sealed the tiles completely and darkened the color beautifly. Selant wouldn't even penetrate the surface. What luck!

o

The Health Department will only allow non porous materials to be used in a restaurant or school kitchen. That means ceramic or porcelain tile with epoxy grout or an industrial epoxy coating to a concrete slab. You need to contact your local Health Department inspector if you have any doubts as to what they will approve in your jurisdiction.

o

Sealers are used to protect unglazed tiles and grouts from absorbing stains. It is a good idea to ask the experts about which type of sealer performs best for the type of tile you have for further details. Generally,�cementitious grouts require sealing while specialty grouts like epoxy and�furans do not. If the grout darkens with water, it needs a sealer.

o

Whether it is ceramic tile or say porcelain tile, it is quite hard to maintain, but if you take professional help like by installers, then it will easily get maintained.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic tile installers

o

I take issue here. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are WASY to maintain as they are already "sealed" through the firing process. Marble or quarry tiles? Sure, they need to be sealed as they are porous....the others? NO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here