Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raghu813

Sealant for ceramic tile?

raghu813
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

The restaurant people at our school are asking for a sealant to protect the ceramic tile floor once they clean it. Any ideas?

Also, what is the best cleaning agent for the tile? (before we seal it)

Also, would using a power washer make sense?

Thanks for any tips.

Mike (from Oakland,CA)

Comments (7)

• Floortech
    12 years ago

A glazed tile cant be sealed with success in my opinion. Have to know more about the tile and what is the cause for the statement. There are sealants for certain tile, slate etc. It needs to be a proper tile or you will have a disaster. Others on this board can give more detail I am sure.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    12 years ago

If you mean actual ceramic or porcelean tile, there is no sealer required. Inherent to the design is the LACK of need for "sealing."

Grout can be sealed, natural stone or slate can be sealed, but not ceramic.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

The only tiles that I know of that benefit from sealers is porous tiles such as travertine or tumbled marble. I had the latter I believe and purchased a DuPont product to seal it. I elected to use epoxy grout because my wife did not like the look of dirty grout and I didn't want that problem. When the installer rubbed the grout in, it sealed the tiles completely and darkened the color beautifly. Selant wouldn't even penetrate the surface. What luck!

• _sophiewheeler
    12 years ago

The Health Department will only allow non porous materials to be used in a restaurant or school kitchen. That means ceramic or porcelain tile with epoxy grout or an industrial epoxy coating to a concrete slab. You need to contact your local Health Department inspector if you have any doubts as to what they will approve in your jurisdiction.

• tectonicfloors
    12 years ago

Sealers are used to protect unglazed tiles and grouts from absorbing stains. It is a good idea to ask the experts about which type of sealer performs best for the type of tile you have for further details. Generally,�cementitious grouts require sealing while specialty grouts like epoxy and�furans do not. If the grout darkens with water, it needs a sealer.

• ronkeddy11
    9 years ago

Whether it is ceramic tile or say porcelain tile, it is quite hard to maintain, but if you take professional help like by installers, then it will easily get maintained.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic tile installers

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

I take issue here. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are WASY to maintain as they are already "sealed" through the firing process. Marble or quarry tiles? Sure, they need to be sealed as they are porous....the others? NO.