Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood floor for beach house-engineered or solid?

Posted by Henley (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 18:58

We're choosing between wide plank white oak engineered floors and solid wood white oak planks. We've been advised that the solid wood should be no more than 4" wide and also quarter sawn would be more stable. I would rather have more character in the wood though and not get quarter sawn. Would it be insane to get wide plank-6 or 7 inch-solid white oak and better to go with engineered wood since we're 100 yards from the ocean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood floor for beach house-engineered or solid?

Positively engineered for many reasons. I would not consider solid for a millisecond with your situation. Stability is key. Moisture is key. Salt is key. You need stability.

o

I wouldn't even consider wood. With the sand that will be tracked back into the dwelling, the finish will be gone in no time. Either do tile or a wood look tile.

o

I agree...wood look tile will look nice and last forever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image search for 'wood look tile'

o

Definitely engineered for your case. We found that engineered floor works the best with higher humidity region. If you have any quality concern, you may find some engineered floorings with full 3/4' total thick and 3/8" wear layer for future refinish with 2 other layers with same thickness. It could go as wide as 12" with no warp. Even better you can float, nail or glue down the boards as you're pleased.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here