Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of tiles

Posted by betsy29 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 18:55

We are installing porcelain tile in a galley kitchen approx 5x12 ft. Should we use 13x13 or 19x19 tile? Was told that larger tile will make kitchen appear larger? My gut feeling is to use 13x13, but maybe I need to step outside my comfort zone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of tiles

It is purely personal preference. Big tiles work fine in smaller spaces.

Another consideration is how that spacing ends up on the edges for each tiles size. With the 19" tiles, you'll have 3 whole tiles and 1 1/2" slivers on each side (assuming exactly 5ft width). That may look fine or may look odd depending on any overhangs on your cabinets.

With 13" tiles, you will have 2 whole tiles and 2 almost whole tiles.

o
RE: Size of tiles

The size of the kitchen should dictate the size tile you use for the space. Smaller kitchens will look more uniform with smaller tiles for wall accents or the oven backsplash. A kitchen with more space looks especially classy and modern with large tiles on the walls and backsplash areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here