Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper subfloor thickness for porcelain tile?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 18:03

Hi All,
I'm planning on laying down some porcelain tiles in my living room but concerned about the appropriate subfloor thickness.

Currently I have 5/8 plywood glued and screwed to 2x10's which are 16" on center. I have another tile floor that the new install is going to butt up against so I need to plan this properly so I have enough space to level the floor as I go and ensure I don't end up too high

The tile I have measures 11mm thick which is about 7/16". I'm also installing in floor heating which will be secured to the plywood and then completely submerged in self leveling concrete.

Does the self leveling concrete contribute to the floor strength? Meaning, do I still need to add 1/4 or 3/8" cement board (or similar) and then add the concrete or is just the concrete adequate? My gut says the concrete will add the stability required for a porcelain install but I want to be sure.

Thanks!
J.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper subfloor thickness for porcelain tile?

You need to do one of two things-- either add another 1/2" of plywood and then Ditra (adds another 1/8") or use 1/2" cement board. The 1/2" cement board over what you have is the MINIMUM requirement. You can go over either one with the heating system and SLC.

o

longtimer is incorrect. Cement board is NOT structural - it is dimensional. It will not increase your floor strength. You need plywood for strength.

o

How big are the tiles?

Larger tiles require stiffer substrates.

o

Half inch ply and either Ditra (as above) or quarter inch Durock, thinsetted and screwed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here