Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What percentage of extra tile do you typically order?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 17:51

The vendor for our marble tile suggests we order 10% extra for the foyer and hallway. My husband thinks this is excessive. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What percentage of extra tile do you typically order?

foyer and hallway 10 % seems accurate. Bigger rooms 5 to 7

o

Your husband is totally incorrect. Having enough flooring to do the job right isn't the place to cheap out. And you need to have extras to store in case of damage down the road.

10% extra is fine for ceramic or porcelain laid straight. 15% for a diagonal layout.

You're not doing ceramic or porcelain. For natural stone, 15% allows for you to be able to cull some of the less "pretty" tiles as well as enough to allow for cuts. 20% for natural stone on the diagonal.

For some stones with a wide variation like some slates, 20-40% would be needed because the cull rate is much higher. I've seen cheap slate from a box store that had a 2 out of 3 cull rate. That takes that "bargain" price to a much higher level if you have to account for the unusable stone.

o

I recently ordered 20 X 20 porcelain tile for my kitchen and powder room. Square footage was measured and 15% was added for overage as floor will be laid diagonally. Well.....tile was laid and installer ran out of tiles for the powder room. I had to order 2 additional boxes asap which we are waiting for. I posted this on the kitchen forum and I was told that 20-25% is overage is best for diagonal floor.

o

6-10 percent for an average tile job. A bit more if it is staggered joint or diagonal. Never should be more than 10%.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here