Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to lay new linoleum over 5 year old linoleum?

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 17:51

I just got a quote for new linoleum since that which as laid down 5 years ago split at the seams twice!! The original installer is out of business - of course. The estimate I just got was from a man recommended by a friend.

He said he would lay the new over the old. When the "old" was laid down 5 years ago the contractor who I do trust, made sure the floor was ready for new linoleum so I feel at that level it is sound. Since the only problem with the linoleum now is the split seams I guess that wouldn't pose a problem laying new over it?

With the extra material I was going to have him do my very small bathroom but I think now that's a bad idea. I read that 50 year old bathroom floors can have asbestos, probably has some water damage etc., so certainly couldn't or shouldn't lay new linoleum over 50 year old linoleum.....right......I know, needs no answer here.

Thanks,
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to lay new linoleum over 5 year old linoleum?

I disagree with your last statement...If the bathroom floor is holding down well..you can emboss the floor and install right over top of it. He should used a cement based patch with a latex additive that will mix up extremely smooth and he will skim the entire floor smoothing out like a skating rink..then install the vinyl over top of that...He will need to cut back and patch any curled areas. Also in the kitchen if the seam is split and curled, he may need to cut the seam back to solid well glued material, and patch that area while he is embossing. The portland based patch as opposed to other patches will inhibit mildew growth ...You definitely can install over the old vinyl and if your upstairs bath is asbestos based, it is all the more reason why you should install the new over it from the waste material. Good Luck

o
RE: OK to lay new linoleum over 5 year old linoleum?

Thank you Floortech. Sounds like we are all set then!

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here