Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me decide between two hardwood flooring options

Posted by toothdoc78 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 17:28

Hello, I'm new to this forum. :) My husband and I are trying to decide between two different hardwood flooring options for our house. The flooring will be covering our main floor foyer, hall, kitchen, and eating area, which is approximately 1000 sq feet. We currently have a light maple hardwood floor that is in not great shape and are looking to go with something a bit darker (not really dark though) and with a wider plank. The two options we're considering are both by Casabella flooring. One is Asian Walnut Antique Handscraped in Champagne.
http://www.casabellafloors.com/products.php?id=55#
The other is Maple Cottage Handsculpted in Amaretto.
http://www.casabellafloors.com/products.php?id=62
I'm interested in which would be more durable. We have two young kids and 3 cats, so scrapes and dents are a concern. This is one reason we were going with a wood with more character to it. Will the asian walnut change color like some of the other exotics? Is one better suited for our climate (I'm in Michigan)? The asian walnut has a 15 year finish warranty, while the maple has a 25 year finish warranty. Both have a combo polyurethane/aluminum oxide finish, although I think the maple is slightly glossier. I was leaning toward the walnut, but if the maple is going to have a better warranty, would I be better off going with that one?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. This will be professionally installed, and the price is just about the same for each.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me decide between two hardwood flooring options

Two young children and cats will equal abrasions and dents and it will not take long. the warranties should not be a deciding factor in my opinion. If you are afraid of seeing wear then honestly hardwood will not be a great choice. In an active household, you will see the wear and disruption to the surface and it will be fast no matter what wood you choose. You must accept that thought process as many people get really surprised and think they bought bad wood. Hardwood shows wear and it shows it quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here