Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plasticy finish of engineered wood floors

Posted by dizbug (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 17:19

Hi everyone,

We were considering hand scraped engineered wood floors for our new home and were quite excited abiut this, until we saw some in person in an actual home yesterday. The surface had a VERY plasticy looking appearance making them look very cheap, and we hated it. So now we are reconsidering, and we have questions.

Does ALL engineered wood flooring have this plasticy appearance, or does it depend? For example, do distressed/hand scraped floors look different than smooth floors? Or does the appearance differ based on the manufacturer? We are willing to do solid hardwood floors if need be, but want to know our options. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plasticy finish of engineered wood floors

There is absolutely no difference in topical appearance between engineered and solid...as topically, they are exactly the same. Find another manufacturer. As a matter of fact, they are more engineered in the marketplace then solids.

o

Definitely not. We have Shaw engineered wood (walnut) and it is gorgeous and indistinguishable from regular hardwood (and more expensive)

o

The Kahrs engineered flooring I'm going to be putting in my new home looks like solid hardwood. No plasticky vibe whatsoever.

o

Nope.'you need to go look and feel different brands, types and finishes to see what you like. As with anything, there are different levels of quality.

In our last home we had very pretty Bruce floors with a shiny finish. You couldn't tell them from solid at all. For this build, we're putting in beautiful UA floors that have a low sheen. They look very authentic.

Engineered floors are real wood floors. There's no reason for them to feel any differently.

o

There is a difference between manufacturers. I visited a friend in the flooring business last week as we are going to install engineered hardwood floors due to concrete base and he showed me some that looked like the plastic finish you described and the exceptionally nice ones. It has something to do with the processing in making the floor. If I didn't have concrete as a base I would definitely go hardwood all the way. Remember to be aware of toxicity levels of formaldehyde and the glue they use. I found one company that has the least toxic levels and they sell glue that is also nontoxic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here