Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolynna_gw

Pictures of my STAINED Brazilian Cherry floor

jolynna
14 years ago

I posted months ago about the disagreement my husband and I were having over floors. He wanted Brazilian Cherry and I thought that Brazilian Cherry was too red. I became open to Brazilian Cherry when Mongo posted pictures of his Brazilian Cherry floors, which are 10 years old and a gorgeous color. My daughter thought maybe the wood could be stained a color I'd like from the beginning (like Mongo's floors) so our hardwood floor person stained some unfinished BC for us to consider.

From left: BC stained with Early American stain; the middle sample is unstained BC finished with poly-u; right sample, dark walnut stained BC

We chose the Early American stain. It was red enough to please my husband but not as red as the unstained BC. We also thought that staining brought out the wood grain. After 6 months the stained samples are closer in color to each other but different than the unstained sample in that they show more graining.

Yesterday the floor installers put the 2nd coat of poly-u on our sanded and stained Brazilian Cherry floors.

I took those pictures yesterday. The poly-u was still drying so I had to take pictures from the doorway entrances and couldn't get a pictures of much of the wood together. Also there isn't any trim...however I wanted to post photos of stained Brazilian Cherry online for others ASAP because when I was considering that option, I couldn't find pictures.

So far I am very happy with my floors.

Comments (29)

• echoflooring
    14 years ago

It no longer looks like cherry..Sorry

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

When I saw the pics I thought -- I like the one in the middle the best! Turns out it is unstained cherry -- of course I have BC in my home so I guess I would like it's natural color.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

The floor is beautiful but I like the unstained Brazilian Cherry the best since that is what I chose for my home. I love the red, orange and brown tones that warm up the three rooms I installed the floors in. But we all have different tastes. Thanks for sharing.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I think they look fabulous! Good for you for doing what you want. I did not go with cherry for the reason of the middle sample. TOO red for my taste.

• jolynna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Too me, Brazilian Cherry has a more modern look. My home will be a traditional farm house.

From reading various sites, I know that most feel that Brazilian Cherry is a beautiful left natural. So i knew lots of people wouldn't like that I stained mine. But, I have also seen people ask whether or not Brazilian Cherry could be stained. I was one of those that searched and couldn't find anything on the subject.

My 6 month old sample is definitely redder than my new floor. So more cherry color will come through.just not as much as you see in the natural sample. I also happen to like the variations and wood veining that the stain brought out in the wood.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

They look nice. I think the hint of red was a good choice.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I like yours the best. other has too much red for me.

• bella99
    12 years ago

I am purchasing 1,000 sf Jacoba Brazilian Cherry hardwood but am told the planks have a lot of white and a lot variance so the floor overall is more honey/cinnamon color with white than red. I am not sure how exactly the white planks would age, into what color, so I am considering staining the floor to give it more darker red look. But I am also not sure how much darker if at all the stained wood would get. Any thoughts on the subject? Thank you in advance for your suggestions! And thank you jolynna for posting the stained vs unstained pictures, those were really helpful.

• kstewart5
    10 years ago

Could you describe or take a current picture so I can see how the stain has aged?

• Cindy Fitz
    9 years ago

Purchased our home with Brazilian Cherry floors. I too dislike red floors. So, now that we are adding hardwood to the bedrooms I am obliged to continue with the BC. However, I will stain the BC with dark walnut. The samples I stained 10 days ago are holding up well. Once the bedrooms are finished we will go ahead an strip the original floors and do the same dark walnut stain on them. Have your floors held the darker color over time?

• User
    9 years ago

If you want to counteract the red, I would recommend using DuraSeal Coffee Brown. It has more green. To my eye the Dark Walnut has some red in it. If Coffee is too dark for you, it can be thinned with neutral.
    Should you not want to go so dark, another option is to bleach the floor with two coats of A/B wood bleach. It will eliminate a lot of the red leaving a more golden brown tone to stain over.

• Mary Marks
    8 years ago

Thank you for posting your pictures. I have lived with Brazilian Cherry unstained for quite a while (10 years) & I just cannot stand the orange/red tones any longer. We are having them sanded & stained today & Early American & Walnut were the stains I was thinking about.

• Mary Marks
    8 years ago
    Sanders are hard at work as I type this ... Hoping & praying that the walnut stain will take away this orange/red color
  • cluedin
    8 years ago

Mmmjs5 - how did they turn out?

• Mary Marks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Even with the walnut stain, they still have the red cast. The orange is gone -- first picture is in a darker room and 2nd is in a much brighter room. At least it looks more uniform. Still not my favorite because I wish there was more brown in it. I thought walnut stain might make that happen. Next color was ebony & I just couldn't go that dark. As it is, everything shows up on these floors!

• Christine Song
    8 years ago

@jolynna I know it has been a while, but I love your walnut color floors and I would love to achieve the same with my BC. Who did you use? Can you share exact steps and brand/color/oil type you chose?

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    Duraseal is super low quality hence why they sell it at Home Depot. Go with a reactive stain and an NWFA certified finisher to pull it off. Those earlier posted photos look ok but not totally hi end professionally done. This is of course 'the'website for hacks to follow and pick up leads on work they cannot possibly deliver.Choose wisely...
  • User
    8 years ago

Ultimate Hardwood, DuraSeal is sold at Home Depot? Silly me. I've been buying it through a distributor. It would be so much easier to run down to the local Home Depot. I can't find it on their website. Please send me a link to a Home Depot page showing me where they sell Dura Seal.

• Christine Song
    8 years ago

@jfcwood, your floors look great! I LOVE the color. My hardwood is prestained, but hoping I can obtain the same results. I wonder what your floor people did that get them so brown? mmmjs5 looks so different than yours.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks, but that wasn't my floor.

• PRO
    Uptown Floors
    8 years ago

jfc, surely a slip on Ultimate's part. Just like I did a few months ago with open grained maple.

Ken Fisher

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    @uptown what do you mean a 'slip' on my part? Please elaborate.
  • gregmills_gw
    8 years ago

jfc, maybe he was talking about the duraseal finish. ive seen the waterbourne stuff there but never stain. but then again he is a fully certified expert installer and sander, and the only one in alberta. so what the hell do we know?

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    @gregmills Muchly appreciated sir!
  • Vith
    8 years ago

Looks like it turned out great! I like the color. I tend to like golds, oranges, and browns for stains, dont really like reds much.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    @bella99 white or cream color in BC is a 'common' or 'mountain' grade. I personally love that look. Also what everyone needs to keep in mind is BC darkens significantly in a short period of time. I find it usually changes to a deep dark burgandy color. Most people love this.
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 years ago
    Mountain grade BC
  • Kristy Gee
    2 months ago

@Mary Marks or @jolynna would you be able to share more pictures of your stained floors? We're considering different Duraseal stain colors for our brazilian cherry floors. Thank you!