Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sound-proofing tile floor

Posted by hifixer (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 16:47

I am thinking of having ceramic tile laid down over a concrete subfloor. Since I live in an apartment building, I was told that I have to have sound-proofing laid beneath the tile so that sound doesn't travel to the floor below. My question - what kind of material could be used for the sound-proofing? How much extra would it add to the cost of the installation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sound-proofing tile floor

Perhaps you have solved your problem already - I had the same. Yes, it substantially increases the install cost. I just found out that Floor and Decor has a product by North American ( I think that's the name) You have to call and ask for the sales person in Tile accessories, otherwise no one will have an answer. I can't tell you how many times I was in the store and asked about sound proof for tile and only by accident did I finally get to someone who knew something. It is a peel and stick for stress crack and sound. About $200 for 200SF.

o

Laticrete 18 "Sound Control" is an additive that can be put in with your morter and does what you want. You can try the Laticrete website....you know...www, etc. and look it up.

o

Be careful here, as some apartment managements and condo and coop boards sometimes specify the exact product they want you to use or have a list of accepted ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here