Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyk2525_gw

Is wood look tile from Home Deport decent quality?

TracyK2525
10 years ago

I found a wood-look tile I like at Home Depot for $2.76/ sf ft but I am concerned about the quality and wondered if this is a decent tile to use given it sourced from the big box store. We are planning to put down in the entire home (about 2500 sq ft of space) so want to make sure we make a good decision here. I wondered if anyone had a good/bad experience laying/using their home depot bought wood look tile. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

This tile has become increasingly popular in recent years, and, as such, prices have dropped dramatically.

What used to be ten bucks a foot is now under three.

If you like it, the best thing to do is to put two tiles face to face and see if you can "spin" them. In other words, cupping is the biggest issue. You can also "sight down" a few and see if they are bowed. If so.....PASS!

They require a good tile technician to properly lay them and they are, typically set with a 1/3 or random offset...to minimize lippage. Also, you really need a FLAT floor and a medium bed thinset for a good installation.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Red body clay or white porcelain backing? The materials will always be cheaper than a quality install for large format, so don't short yourself in the materials department. The difference between a $3 tile and a $5 tile is miniscule in the overall job costs. And be SURE that the flatness of the substrate is addressed. If not, you'll be tripping on it.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Don't let them install it. Be very careful who you hire, and then some.

Look for a rectified, through body color porcelain. You don't want your tile chipping and showing a different color from underneath. Rectified helps with installation problems with this type tile. Make sure your tiler is experienced with this format and knows how you want it laid out. There have been some strange installs of this tile here, surprise to the homeowner.

Tiling a whole house is going to be very expensive and a bear to remove. So don't cheap out.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 18:41

• TracyK2525
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the comments! They were very helpful!