Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate flooring questions

Posted by olchik (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 16:24

I am planning on putting a laminate floor throughout my kitchen and dining area.
I went to a builders showroom this weekend and looked at laminates. The ones I liked were made by Shaw. They carry a 20-25 year warranty against moisture and scratching, among others.
Is there anyone here who can tell me about Shaw laminates, especially their Versalock lines of Costa Rica and Natural Sensations II? I have not been able to find much info here on this brand.

Has anyone used the iFLOORS brand "Westhollow"?

Another questions, more technical. Would you put flooring under the cabinets/appliances (say, for ease of removal of the dishwasher, for example) or not (because it's a floating floor that would not be able to "float"?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate flooring questions

I can answer your second question: Our laminate does not go under the cabinets, but we did continue it into the space for the dishwasher.

o

Thanks, Lightly, that's an idea!
May I ask, what brand did you use and are you happy with it?

o

I am using the Westhollow laminate in Washed Honey Brown Oak and I LOVE it! We just finished one room last night so I cannot tell you about its durability. I am hoping for the best! :-)
I ordered it from IFloor.com. Ordering was a breeze and the installation isn't bad at all once you learn the technique.
We are not doing the kitchen so sorry I can't help with the appliance question. If it were me I would definitely put it under the stove and refrigerator. Doubt I would remove my dishwasher for installation, though.
Good luck!

o

uhhhh, are you sure you actually read the warranty, right???

That 25 years is not against moisture or scratching!!
Read it!! It says to the effect, you will not wear down the surface from normal foot traffic.

Are you sure it wasn't the sales person, telling you what you wanted to hear, so the could get the upgrade commission???

o

Hi summerva
Looks like it's been a long time since you put down your Westhollow Laminate....I am looking at an Italian Stone Tile they have for my kitchen....right now they are running a special with free shipping but ends tonight.
I was wondering if you are still happy with it and how is it holding up?
Would appreciate your feedback...

Here is the tile I am considering....trying to decide between the one on left or right...my cabinets are Creamy Antique White and the granite is Bianco Romano.....
I am really hoping you still like your flooring....really got my heart set on one of these...

photo ItalianStone_zps3f41bc8c.jpg

o

I installed laminate flooring and all went well. Now I see a hump or dip in hallway in front of a closet door. What can I do to correct this problem>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here