Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Direction to Lay Kitchen Hardwood Flooring

Posted by bsully (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 16:19

We are doing a complete renovation of our kitchen which includes knocking down a wall to a sun room. We would like to run the flooring the long way (left to right) and towards the added space/sun room/natural light source but it is the opposite direction of the rest of the house. The rest of the house is the standard 2 inch light colored oak, while the kitchen will be 4 and 1/4 dark wood. We thought it could still work since the floors are so different and it is a very distinct area of the house. If we run it in the same direction as the rest of the house then the length would be much shorter and not flow into the added space/sunroom/natural light.

The sunroom is not hardwood, but rather tiled. Also, if we run it towards the sunroom we would be pulling up the floor joists and running them opposite direction so the wood flooring is perpendicular. The picture is a view from the sunroom into the kitchen

Any thoughts/suggestions on going the opposite direction of the rest of the house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Direction to Lay Kitchen Hardwood Flooring

There is a number of flooring options available such as tiling, marble and so on. Mostly people would prefer wooden flooring due to its a number of feature such as durable, economical, comfortable, unique look and last longer. Extensive search through the web helps you come across companies offering the services at discount rates.

Here is a link that might be useful: toronto flooring

o

By looking at the picture, I'm assuming the house has a basement or crawlspace. If that's the case, the wood needs to be laid perpendicular to the floor joists. This will give the floor much more support that you'll definitely need it with the wider planks.

o

You can beef up the subfloor and underlayment if you do not wish to install the boards perpendicular to the joist. HW need not run the same direction as the rest of the HW in your house. It's hard to tell from your description if it would fine. What worries me more is all the different types of flooring you are using. I would match the HW that you have in the rest of your house.

o

Just use common sense here. Look at the condition of the subfloor boards. What are they made of and are they still mostly stiff and flat? If they haven't sagged between the joists in 80 years or so, they're not going to do that now. Although the book says install finish flooring perpendicular to the joists, I would not worry much about that, especially where the subfloor material condition is as I described. Simply make sure that the subfloor is well-attached and sqeak-free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here