Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing Plank Size for Oak Floor

Posted by SSShayne (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 14:56

Going with Rustic Red Oak #2 - for dining room/living room/hall

Really love the wider plank - but my contractor said sometimes going with even a 4" plank can see problems such as "cupping" or warping. But not always. Depends on moisture and the universe he said. Wood is coming from Cali and im in AZ - so hoping that will work in my favor

Just wondering if anyone has lived with oak flooring and can tell me if theyve had any issues with wider plank flooring.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing Plank Size for Oak Floor

It is sad that contractors spread this sort of nonsense. Cupping and warping are not a mystery.

If:
The house is stabilized for humidity and temperature,
the wood is appropriately kiln-dried,
allowed to acclimate in the home,
installed when both flooring and subfloor materials are the correct moisture levels,
and moderate humidity levels are maintained in the home year round,
Then your flooring should be fine.

All of those steps should be taken whether your flooring is 3" or 12". My floors range from 3-12" and they are fine. That said, if a customer lives by the beach and prefers to leave the house open to humid air all summer, and then use a humidity-sucking woodstove all winter, they will likely see some movement.

o
RE: Choosing Plank Size for Oak Floor

Thanks! Thats pretty much the info i found online, exactly how you stated. Should be fine - im going with what i want!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here